More details about VIA C7-M processor

YKhan wrote:

> Via pulls winner out of wraps
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23788
>
> Has the AMD64, SSE3, and NX-bit support. Supposed to use only 10.1W of
> electricity (that's 13.5 millihorsepower for you automotive nuts). :)
>
> Yousuf Khan

I want one, and I want it now!

YKhan wrote:
> Via pulls winner out of wraps
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23788
>
> Has the AMD64, SSE3, and NX-bit support. Supposed to use only 10.1W of
> electricity (that's 13.5 millihorsepower for you automotive nuts). :)
>
> Yousuf Khan

I must be going blind. I've read half a dozen articles like this
Inq one and I *still* have no idea what you can plug this chip
into.

Is it compatible with *anything* out there already or do we have
to wait for proprietary motherboards from Via ?

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:57:43 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote:

>YKhan wrote:
>> Via pulls winner out of wraps
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23788
>>
>> Has the AMD64, SSE3, and NX-bit support. Supposed to use only 10.1W of
>> electricity (that's 13.5 millihorsepower for you automotive nuts). :)
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>>

>I must be going blind. I've read half a dozen articles like this
>Inq one and I *still* have no idea what you can plug this chip
>into.
>
>Is it compatible with *anything* out there already or do we have
>to wait for proprietary motherboards from Via ?

VIA board. It uses a bus that is similar but apparently incompatible
to the P4 bus. It also looks like they're going to use their own
socket, if they even use sockets at all. It looks like a lot of these
chips are going to be soldered right onto system boards.

-------------
Tony Hill

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:41:47 GMT, "Felger Carbon" <fmsfnf@jfoops.net>
wrote:

>Has anybody applied a full workload (at the same time) to both
>Prescotts in a Pentium D package yet? Was the result a two-alarm or
>four-alarm fire? ;-)

No need to worry about temperature, but do keep an eye on performance.
Throttling, and all.

RM

"Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:41:47 GMT, "Felger Carbon"
<fmsfnf@jfoops.net>

> >Has anybody applied a full workload (at the same time) to both
> >Prescotts in a Pentium D package yet? Was the result a two-alarm
or
> >four-alarm fire? ;-)
>
> No need to worry about temperature, but do keep an eye on
performance.
> Throttling, and all.

Are you telling me that Pentium Ds cannot really be used to perform
useful work, Robert? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! ;-)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:51:33 GMT, "Felger Carbon" <fmsfnf@jfoops.net>
wrote:

>"Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:41:47 GMT, "Felger Carbon"
><fmsfnf@jfoops.net>
>> >
>> >Has anybody applied a full workload (at the same time) to both
>> >Prescotts in a Pentium D package yet? Was the result a two-alarm
>or
>> >four-alarm fire? ;-)
>>
>> No need to worry about temperature, but do keep an eye on
>performance.
>> Throttling, and all.
>
>Are you telling me that Pentium Ds cannot really be used to perform
>useful work, Robert? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! ;-)

Oh, you'll get _some_ useful work out of it, all right, maybe just not
as much as you'd think you'd have a right to expect. I only found one
case of documented throttling

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http%3A//www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentiumd-820_5.html&ei=h12oQs25Ore0aM-ioJQP&sig2=NSkuSQRUJoQM4-ouRZaGwA

and that was in overclocking, but I'll bet that throttling of Pentium
D's under heavy load isn't a rare occurrence--maybe just hard to
document.

RM

Felger Carbon wrote:
> Has anybody applied a full workload (at the same time) to both
> Prescotts in a Pentium D package yet? Was the result a two-alarm or
> four-alarm fire? ;-)

THG is doing his semi-annual stress test run. You know the one where he
pits an AMD system up against an Intel, the Intel keeps overheating and
rebooting, the AMD keeps chugging along until Tom goes into the room
and trips over the powercord, etc. You know, *that* standard old test.
:)

Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: Third Update The Dual Core AMD vs.
Intel Stress Test - THG Lab Logbook: Boxed Cooler Exchanged
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/index.html

Yousuf Khan