More Details Emerge On 'Destiny 2' PC Beta From Bungie, Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the previous article linked about third party apps:

"The real problem might come from Destiny 2 blocking EVGA Precision XOC, MSI Afterburner, Fraps, and similar tools that use overlays to display system information."

How could a passive video card management tool even remotely be involved with cheating? Bungie needs to offer a valid reason or that may be a deal breaker for me. I use GeForce Experience to record gameplay and Afterburner to monitor and record my hardware performance while gaming and occasionally spot check in an overlay my CPU and GPU temps (most importantly for Afterburner is engaging the custom fan controller profile I set for my GPU).

So your reason for not buying the game is not being able to record yourself having fun in the game?

Or is your "fun" gained strictly from recording yourself playing the game regardless of how fun the game actually is?

Actually what is more crucial for me is the ability to actively monitor my hardware performance and temps in an overlay while under load because I have both the CPU and GPU overclocked. I can live without game recording (which I use to share with friends since you were so interested in my needs for it). But I can't live without actively being able to spot check monitor my hardware (toggling the display overlay on and off with a keyboard command).

And again, I'd like to know how MSI Afterburner's overlay can possibly contribute to cheating. Sounds to me like Bungie was too lazy to itemize and control what can and cannot be utilized and instead threw the baby out with the bathwater and banned every overlay. And I have never seen another game developer ban hardware monitoring overlays. It's just stupid.

A solid block of concrete is more secure than a combination lock.

By blocking all possible programs from interacting with the game you reduce the attack surface that others with more nefarious purposes may try to attack.

You also don't need to constantly update your detection algorithm to determine what is a legit MSI afterburner and what is an auto headshot / infinite money hack trying to disguise itself as MSI afterburner.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
If monitoring your hardware is important to you as you game and you still want to play this particular game, might I suggest any number of hardware monitoring programs that stream the data to your smartphone. They also have available dedicated LCD displays. Finally, there is always the Logitech solution of the G510s keyboard with LCD display, which will interface with Afterburner. I know the G510s solution works pretty darn well because I had one before I went mechanical with my keyboard.

Kankkunen

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
@10Tacle, from what i understood you can still record while in borderless/windowed mode and you can still monitor your temps etc by just alt tabbing or having them displayed in second monitor or i guess even use overlay in borderless/windowed

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

So...in order to monitor your usage in-game, rather than have everything on the screen (or even on a 2nd monitor right next to it)...your suggestion is "just stream it to your smartphone", which may or may not even be out on the desk/computer table/next to you on the couch, let alone in an easy-to-view place?

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

Are there that many "fake" versions of MSI Afterburner out there that would really cause this problem? Considering that the best method of actually submitting evidence of the use of hacks (other than shrilly screaming it out just because the other player is better than you are in the game) would be to submit actual in-game screenshots & recordings, it doesn't seem like it's going to make it harder to prove cheating.

Not to mention it'll make it that much harder for review sites to actually measure the in-game performance...unless that's the real purpose behind this ("Oh, don't worry about using the tools you use to test every other game out there, we have our own built-in tool that you can trust 100%...believe us...").

MSI Afterburner and FRAPS have the ability to overlay a frame counter on the screen while playing. I guess a common 'hack' is detecting where players are and an overlay showing their exact locations. It'd be pretty handy in a PVP scenario, knowing what routes the enemy team is taking, etc. It's perfectly reasonable for them to take this stance.

I don't agree that a person with some irrational need to constantly monitor their system while gaming is entitled to do that when it does leave security holes in the product. All monitoring can still be written to log files, etc as far as I know.

You only need 10 people with "fake" versions of MSI afterburner to take the top 10 spots in rankings.

Game moderators can watch any part of an online game without others knowing they are being watched.
A simple report player button would add a players name to a list of potential players that need to be monitored by a real gm for cheating.
If cheating was detected then the appropriate actions would be taken.

If you can't trust the maker of the game to build a simple bench-marking tool for their own game then how can you trust them to even make the game?

Assuming the makers of the game did make a bench-marking tool that wasn't honest / poorly coded, whom would they be trying to deceive, players and or themselves?

Players would immediately become suspicious if they noticed 60 fps in the benchmark, but 30 fps ingame.
Even if they modified the ingame fps tool to fps+30 it is fairly easy to determine visually if you are running at 30 fps or 60 fps.

It's possible they may be trying to deceive themselves due to a poor coding job and then place the blame on Nvidia / AMD.
Both Nvidia and AMD have the funds to dig deep into the game / drivers and find the truth if the game developer isn't truthful in order to vindicate themselves.

The more likely explanation is that game developers make honest bench-marking tools that take the work out of manually creating a script that may or may not even work for MMO games due to factors not under your control.

Status
Not open for further replies.