More Details on Intel's Ivy Bridge and Maho Bay Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
So this means pcie 3.0, usb 3.0, IGP with dx11, similar naming scheme, lower tdp...if they manage to deliver decent entry level gpu performance while delivering on their promised performance increase over sandy bridge, intel have a huge win lined up for them.

i hope amd gets its act together soon enough...

intel seems to be well on track with their ivy bridge/ maho bay platform.
only diff. between z77 and z75 are fewer pcie 3 lanes? damn segmentation...
glad to see Pxx chipset being phased out. Pxx chipset was alredy less relevant with sandy bridge than it was with nehalem. :)

x-series is intel's enthusiast oriented chipset. if intel does release one for ivb, it'll most likely to come out in q4 or late q4 2012. intel's current enthusiast chipset is x79.

AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Motherboards with the Z77 chipset and PCIe 3.0 coupled with Ivy Bridge will be the ones to get if you still haven't gotten SB and are waiting for IB FINALLY we'll be able to get true tri-CF/SLI in a motherboard under $200. While two of the slots would be running at 4x, remember that they support PCIe 3.0 and it's therefore the equivalent of PCIe 2.0 x8. And since the 28nm GPUs from NVIDIA and AMD will support it, we'll get a true solution at last. Since the chipset will also support USB 3.0, vendors can combine both the chipset and add a Marvell or ASMedia controller so we can have 6 to 10 USB 3.0 through I/O ports and headers. Yay!

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
A nice gaming platform for sure, but a feature set not much different than the current sandy 6-series. Many 6 series boards have pcie3.0 support, usb 3.0, etc. Not to mention current, and probably next gen, graphics cards don't even saturate pcie 2.0 bandwidth.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]So this means pcie 3.0, usb 3.0, IGP with dx11, similar naming scheme, lower tdp...if they manage to deliver decent entry level gpu performance while delivering on their promised performance increase over sandy bridge, intel have a huge win lined up for them.i hope amd gets its act together soon enough...[/citation]

For most users. Unfortunately, most people buying desktops and even laptops today are gaming users who need a little more 'oomph' than any Intel GPU would bring to the table.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm not planning to build another system "this soon"...
But this are still good news.

:)

Not to mention that an article on Tom's with no mention of certain "fruit" is refreshing.

Probably true even with the IB top-end GPU which Intel says will be some 60% faster than the one in Sandy Bridge, although S/A has an articlen mentioning 2X performance. It should be comparable to LLano's.

Temp_Username

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Looks nice but I already have a motherboard that does PCI 3.0, i7 2600, OCZ SSD and it runs buttery smooth no matter what I throw at it. At this point in the game everything else is just overkill unless you use CAD or do video editing.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
for the love of god toms will you make it so if you post a damn picture when you click, it will actually link to a MUCH larger image, not one thats like 50% bigger?

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]X79 is like X58, but won't be around as long. Anyone who buys it will be disappointed just like X58 users were when something faster for 1/2 the price comes out 2 months later. Trust me. Wait for IB.[/citation]

I never got Sandy Bridge because my i7 920 on x58 has lasted me going on 4 years, at 4ghz on air I barely do anything to push it. I only want Ivy Bridge for full usb3 + SAS (and the better power use) but not necessarily more power on the processor, which is of course a nice byproduct of Moore's law.

I am saddened that they aren't using the significant amount of extra space on the die to throw another two cores on the high end model. If they are using the same die cast as Sandy Bridge I'm amazed they can't fit another 2 cores on it by shrinking it by a third.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]X79 is like X58, but won't be around as long. Anyone who buys it will be disappointed just like X58 users were when something faster for 1/2 the price comes out 2 months later. Trust me. Wait for IB.[/citation]

so true. I am currently on an x58 with an i7 930, I've been holding off for the Ivy Bridge to upgrade my desktop. Although it has been hard to resist the lure of SB all this time.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
man. It's looking like I'll have to switch to Intel for my next upgrade.......but money tends to put me toward AMD. I wind up saying, "Aaahhh, I can give up the performance." haha. But seriously, using the tri-gate, I wonder how far you could overclock that thing with the extra heat dissipation. I'd think it'd be pretty far, but it is a first generation tri-gate, so maybe best to wait for the 2nd iteration of the tech.

RealBeast

Titan
[citation][nom]Kaiser_25[/nom]for the love of god toms will you make it so if you post a damn picture when you click, it will actually link to a MUCH larger image, not one thats like 50% bigger?[/citation]
Yeah, kind of crazy. You have to click to get a slightly larger picture and then click on it to get the big one.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Your such a noob. An X58 paired with CF/SLI in dual/triple or quad SLI configs and a nice OC'ed i7 920 will still run circles around anything you probably have. That is what it was meant for not as a cheap generic platform. I had quad SLI running on my X58 for years until recently I threw in a single GTX590 and I still see no reason to get something new but you wouldn't understand that.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@zanny: If IB is just the Intel "tick", then the "tock" that comes next will bring significant architecture changes... though the change in GPU performance would tend to conflict with this a bit...

I'm surprised at only 1-2 SATA III ports on these chipsets. I know the current HDDs can't come anywhere close to saturating a port (unless pulling from cache...), but if the peak for SATA II is ~265 MB/s (as observed during THW SSD tests, which is less than the 300 MB theoretical), then using a port multiplier to attach something like a DAS could quickly saturate a SATA II port. AMD can do 6 SATA III ports on their chipsets with port multiplier support... why not Intel?

Intel's marketing department is kind of screwing over the high-end enthusiasts, if I read this correctly. X79 doesn't have USB 3.0, barely has any SATA III, and has no lightpeak. And there does not appear to be any short-term remedy to this, short of using onboard add-on chips or PCIe cards. So mainstream gets better than what enthusiasts get (albeit a few months later), and Apple fans get even better than that (WHY?)

Speaking of which, where's thunderbolt / lightpeak? I would expect that to be appearing on some of these chipsets by now. Unless it's done as a PCIe device?

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
[citation][nom]win7guru[/nom]Looks nice but I already have a motherboard that does PCI 3.0, i7 2600, OCZ SSD and it runs buttery smooth no matter what I throw at it. At this point in the game everything else is just overkill unless you use CAD or do video editing.[/citation]
Well, in my opinion, what you have is overkill.

fomoz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
So Ivy Bridge won't be LGA 2011? Wow, I'm such an idiot. I thought that I'll be able to get X79 + Ivy Bridge when it comes out, but in reality it's the same story as with X58 + Nehalem and P67 +Sandy Bridge, eh?

I guess this makes sense. This means that to get true 32 PCI-E 3.0 lanes to run triple SLI, I'll need to wait for the Ivy Brige-E or equivalent? And then Haswell is going to be released and smoke my setup for half the price?

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I was so sad that i was forced to jump from i7-920/socket 1366 to i5 2500k sandy bridge because of motherboard going flatline.. I was sad because the difference in the performance wasn't that huge to reason an upgrade.
However , i chose Z68 chipset and oh! Good news!

"The Q67, Q65 and B65 chipsets will not support Ivy Bridge, even with a motherboard firmware update, but the Z68, P67, H67 and H61 chipsets look to all be compatible with a required UEFI update."

Good thing, i may upgrade the cpu end 2012 without swaping motherboards etc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.