More Dual Athlon 1U R/M Servers!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Probably not that many of you are interested in rackmount servers for homes, but those of you interested in clustered dual AMD's (ergeorge?), check out <A HREF="http://www.appro.com/1124/index.html" target="_new">Appro's latest product.</A>

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Now I thirst for power consumption/heat dissipation specs on that thing. I just have to know...heheHEHeheheh :wink:

Kelledin

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Sort of passive cooling, those 4 x DC blowers are going to put a fair airflow over the memory and cpu sinks.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

Wow, 550W power supply in a 1U case! I think the other 1U I posted only had 350W.

On the cooling: It's not really passive. If you look at the specs, they have 4 "radial" (centrifigal?) blowers in the case. I suspect that the case is designed such the the CPU (& northbridge?) heat sinks go all the way to the top cover, and the airflow is routed through them. That's the way it looks <A HREF="http://www.mutmut.com/dev/appro/1124/1124_1UBrochure.pdf" target="_new">here</A>.

Actaully, I wonder if this system might work better then a 2U horizontal case with more typical HSF? Sound's strange, but it may be easier to cool these systems in a 1U case!?

Thanks for the link.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ergeorge on 06/10/01 11:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>It uses passive cooling. Intersting. shows just how cool those babies run.

yeah, right I see four squirrels in there-to prevent a meltdown, very noisy, the P3's are the coolest ROTFLMAO!!!

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Also the slowest. A single AthlonMP 1.2 smacks a dual PIII silly--and consumes about the same amount of power as the duals. OOPS! LoL :lol:

Of course, you could try comparing the P4 Xeons...wait, the Xeon consumes almost 30% more power than the AthlonMP 1.2? That's four Blue Squirrels having heart attacks!

Not to mention which, the dual Xeons still get whipped...just thought I'd mention that. I know you love hearing it... :tongue:

Kelledin

G

>very noisy

So what?
A 1U rackmount isn't the kind of thing you have sitting under your desk.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)