Question More FPS from upgrading from ryzen 2600 to 3600?

Aug 8, 2018
Just wondering how much more FPS could be expected if I upgraded from a ryzen 2600 to a 3600 if all my other parts remain the same (X470 mobo, 1080ti, 16gb 3200 Mhz). I know it's too early to tell as the 3600 is not out yet but thought I'd check in with the experts here. Not interested in upgrading to a 2080ti, and all other cards are don't really hold a candle to the 1080ti (I guess the 2080 just matches it + ray tracing), I dunno. Additionally it also depends on the game but just looking for a ballpark estimate to get an idea. If it's too early, I'll just wait until reviews start coming in. Thanks!

Well AMD claims ~15% IPC uplift, meaning that single-threaded performance (which is where AMD has been behind Intel) will be around 15% faster with Ryzen 3000 than Ryzen 2000. So, at best I would say 15% more frames per second, but it could actually be somewhere in between.

InvalidError

Titan
You get ~8% higher clock frequencies and 10-ish% higher IPC so you can expect 15-20% better FPS than equivalent 2000-series in situations of pure CPU bottleneck, less if something else (such as the GPU, drivers, APIs, inter-process communications, etc.) is hindering performance scaling. Zen 2 may be better, but not earth-shatteringly so for the same mainstream core count. Unlikely to be worth the trouble for most people who already own a 2000-series Ryzen CPU.

Performance gains will be larger on ThreadRipper and EPYC where centralized IO and memory on the IO die will reduce or eliminate NUMA-related issues.

Reactions: rodrigueznickolaus

TRENDING THREADS