More games should support 3 texture units

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There should be more games supporting this design of textures. Look at serious enable the 3rd texture. OMG the radeon LE could whip a GF2 PRO. Good news is more games are support the 3rd units making radeon a better for for the $$$.

Number of Rendering Pipelines
Radeon - 2
GF2 - 4

Number of Texture Units per pipeline
Radeon - 3
GF2 - 2

Leader of the Anti VIA-Nvidia Army

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I hope more games will support 6 textures which the Radeon texture fill rate will be more than sufficient to do while the KyroII due to the increase clock cycles will start to be hit in the fill rate department. If you read the MadOnion text on the filrate test it is very interesting where the Radeon shines better than most cards much better than the kyro2 and GF2 cards.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Your right, overdraw is a big factor, if the game is designed with objects rendered front to back then the Radeon would really shine, if not then the Kyro2 (if there is alot of overdraw). Just remember a Radeon rendering 6 textures is virtually just as fast as rendering 4 textures due to the two pixel pipelines that can do up to 3 textures per run through the pipeline. I believe the Kyro2 will start hitting a fillrate problem doing 6 textures and beyond especially in the higher resolutions. Still the Kyro2 does better in Serious Sam then the Radeon as far as I see it. Not that the Radeon does bad just that the Kyro2 does better. In Unreal Tournament the Radeon is faster and there are alot of Unreal Engine games available.