More Hands On With the Asus Eee Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgsa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
It would seem it should say the prices are 499 and 399 respectively since the 121 has the better specs.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
One thing I don't understand with any of these touch screen systems, whether its an all in one like the HP with the touch screen, this device or the ipad and that is the finger prints on the screen.

To me this is a deal breaker for any of them, it is simply something I do not like as a personal preference. Imagine watching a movie on an ipad and having to filter through the greasy smeared finger prints all over the thing.

I know there are wipes and other implements that clean these screens but there is always a scenario that never fails when such a thing is unavailable and you have to just live with is.

I guess it isn't so much of a concern with the portables as I "hope" the manufacturers who make them account for this (but who knows if they really do?) but in regards to the all in one home PC's that use this configuration that could be a concern.

and lets face it people walk around with some dreadful things attached to their fingers.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
for only $100 less, the specs on the 101 sux. I'd never consider it for anything more than $250. The 121 is over-priced too. Seems to me it would fit better around $400. Neither of these will be on my wish list.

I'm not an apple fan, but the ipads are closer to worth their cost (mostly due to the apple tax)

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I like what I read, but again I am not sure that I need one. The specs are certainly more impressive than the iPad. Unfortunately, the pricing seems to have been influenced by Apple's pricing model. My final concern is that besides surfing while waiting for a train, or at the airport, I don't really have need for a tablet computer. Tablet computers have been in the market for years, and it is only now that people have discovered how much they need them....

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
what about battery? can you take it out and replace it? can u run it plugged in without one if so if your not far away from outlet :p

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I think its a little expensive for what you get especially for the one that costs 399. I mean no hdmi out. .3mp webcam, 512mb ram. Those are worse specs than an average netbook in the 300 range. I can buy an asus laptop with a t4400 4g of ram and a bigger screen for 450.

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Finally something worthy for 500 bucks:
- 32gigs SSD,2 gigs of RAM,1.3 Mp camera, 802.11b/g/n on the go,HDMI, real Os-Win7.But hey... For more 100$ u can buy the the cheapest Crapple iToy.
The cheap version EP101TC will do the end of a promotional gadget, i don't think someone will buy it.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The camera is a Joke to say the least and useing SSD VS. Ram is silly. I assume it is still plaqued with
short Battery life as stated in it's begining stages, i think they said a max of 4 HRS battery life. After further review this tablet should be re-named to Asus FFF Tablet.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
So Apple releases an overly minimalistic iPad and Asus counters by developing an over the top tablet? Neither of these companies are doing it right but at least the iPad will last 8+ hours under normal use. I know the iPad sucks but from the looks of this product it will suck just the same as the iPad except for a whole different set of reasons.

Awesome.

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]I like what I read, but again I am not sure that I need one. The specs are certainly more impressive than the iPad. Unfortunately, the pricing seems to have been influenced by Apple's pricing model. My final concern is that besides surfing while waiting for a train, or at the airport, I don't really have need for a tablet computer. Tablet computers have been in the market for years, and it is only now that people have discovered how much they need them.....[/citation]
Well yeah, but Apple can at least make a responsive device, if anything. The problem with tablets is that unless you get the touch input just right, it's going to end up being a pain in the ass, and it will have you reaching for your laptop in no time.
I am no Apple fan. Far from it, but they do have some good ideas, and HP saw that too, so they scrapped their Win7 slate. These devices are far too underpowered to take a full featured OS and, in the end, they don't even need to because most users are not going to fully replace their computers with it.
I am trully looking forward to the Android/Chrome/PalmOS powered tablets and then can we start comparing them to the iPad. [/citation]

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]boogalooelectric[/nom]One thing I don't understand with any of these touch screen systems, .....and lets face it people walk around with some dreadful things attached to their fingers.[/citation]

true for the finger prints.. but it won't be as dirty as the dollor bills in our wallet or our keyboard... and if you really worry about the cleaning... there is something called crystal film/protection film. You can always replace it for a new one as often as you like.

However, I just don't know how am I going to do anything productive on win7 without a keyboard and a mouse... let alone missing the right click on my mouse... though I maybe able to do hand writing w/ my fingers... but writing w/ my fingers?..... hmmm that sounds kind of funny to me.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
The EP121 sounds really nice on paper. I really hope to be able to find one in a brick and mortar store so I can play with one someday.

I'm not sure why anyone would complain too much about a 1.3 MP camera. Why would you really need anything bigger? It's mainly for use as a webcam for video conferencing. Wouldn't you feel silly holding up a 12" tablet to take a picture of something? I know I would. That's better left for my 5 MP phone, or my 22 MP D-SLR. My 2 MP logitech web cam with a "Carl Zeiss" lense is major overkill. Who cares what I look like, I want everyone else to have a better camera so I can see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.