More iPad Cost Estimates Show Room for Price Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
i would say that the cost of R&D always makes it expensive for early adopters but there just wasn't any R&D into the iPad. its just an giant expensive ipod touch

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
"While Apple is expected to be getting more than double that back from the $499 price tag, the most profitable"

... yes? Go on?

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Apple to drop the price for its new and much hyped product? very unlikely. but i'd let them have the chance to proof me wrong...

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
If the internal Apple memo is anything to go by, avoid buying it until they do cut the price, or go by the "wait for the second gen" rule. Or just get a cheaper netbook that does so much more, just sayin.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Yes there was R&D with the Ipad, not as much as starting from ground zero but they did alot of
planning and developing with the Ipad. They had to come up with a new Chip " A1". They had to
research what size and style screen, they had to develope display formats and styles amongst other
things. They have spent alot of time R&D the Ipad don't kid yourself.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
If there was just so much R&D for the iPad to justify the cost, why not have a more capable system that can run OSX? And not the iPhone software?

Now I own an iPhone, and I will be the first to say I really enjoy it..as a phone, but it is a phone operating system, and I don't see how the same OS is viable for a tablet or any type of serious computing. Absolutely no multitasking capabilities.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]arlandi[/nom]Apple to drop the price for its new and much hyped product? very unlikely. but i'd let them have the chance to proof me wrong...[/citation]
And they did, with the iphone.

pelomixa

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
overpriced garbage, I'm so sick of reading about Steve Jobs and the stupid waste of my internet reading time, iPOS

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]I would get it for its e-reader feature if it truly can be read like an e-ink screen otherwise no.[/citation]
No, it can't.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Thank for stop talking about iPad.

It's just a sucker pad with low specs...
Job and media talk so much about that SUPER POOR PAD, my ears are about to fall down.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
no way Apple is going to lower the price.
Steve needs to continue his swing dance lessons to compete in next season's dancing with the stars.

G

What R&D is there to speak of?

The processor is just an ARM core, and they almost completely reused existing OS code... all that's left to do is choose a few components and mash them together on a board, and make a few tweaks to the OS to support the larger screen and such.

Anyone who justifies the $400+ dollars for this thing is out of their mind. Or a fanboy. Probably the latter.

While they may know the material "cost", it is apparent they don't have a clue about finding true LOH costs. I am not saying the Ipad pricing is good, bad, or perfect. You price something at whatever people will pay for it. But the costing these people are coming up with in no way represents the true cost of manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.