[SOLVED] more memory yes or no discussion

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
hi all,

i have a few questions regarding memory expansion. my current system is as in the signature.
  1. in what cases should i consider expanding my system's memory capacity? (main system use case if rpg games like cyberpunk, dragon age inquisition, witcher. baldur's gate 3 etc)
  2. will adding 2 more identical sticks improve, deteriorate or have no effect on memory and system performance?
    1. due to more memory being available?
    2. due to more sticks in the configuration?
  3. will 4 sticks still be able to run at 4000mhz and cl17?
  4. is this a good time to buy additional 2 sticks or should i wait (with regards to price)?
  5. any additional issues i haven't brought up?

Solution
  1. Expand memory capacity if current memory is being fully (or near fully) utilized while running your programs. Or, if you want to run a program(s) that your current setup is not capable of running or running well.
  2. No effect on performance of gaming. 32GB is more than enough currently.
  3. Possibility of memory compatibility and/or stability issues can arise when adding/mixing memory modules.
  4. While memory prices are somewhat good right now, 32GB is more than enough for gaming.
  5. No, not really.
  1. Expand memory capacity if current memory is being fully (or near fully) utilized while running your programs. Or, if you want to run a program(s) that your current setup is not capable of running or running well.
  3. Possibility of memory compatibility and/or stability issues can arise when adding/mixing memory modules.
  4. While memory prices are somewhat good right now, 32GB is more than enough for gaming.
  5. No, not really.

Solution

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
  5. No, not really.
thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1. Add memory if you are running out. For high end gaming, if you had 8Gb it would be advised to move upto at least 16Gb, for example, as you be constantly edging close if not over 8Gb.

2. No such thing as identical sticks. Unless they all come from the exact same kit. Buy a different kit, you have different ram, regardless of the paint job on the heatsink. It's the silicon inside that's different, not the sticker. Whether 2 kits will be compatible is pot-luck, guessing fame, there's absolutely no guarantee, even if both kits came from the same shelf, same store, same day and are otherwise the exact same specs. Still totally different.

3. Depends on the platform. Intel usually yes, Ryzen 5000 yes, Ryzen 3000 or prior no.

4. No idea. There's always potential issues when dealing with ram, cpus, platforms, etc. It's only when you encounter an actual issue, well then that's no longer a potential.