[SOLVED] More questions about Fans

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Please help me sort out information about fans. I will have 8 total once I'm done with this build. (I'll never be done with this build.) I have one cpu fan port and 4 sys fan ports. Also 1 rbg and 1 arbg port.

1) I took some crappy fans out of a case. They have one 3 pin cord and one molex. The fan blades are purple. On one side of each fan there is a wire coming from the center and teensy light bulb aimed at the blades. They're called LED in the ad for the case. Is that really rbg?

2) I have a 4 pack of Rosewill fans on its way to me and they are also 3 pin and a molex. No light bulb or colored fan blades though - not rbg. DC.

3) I only use one of the connectors, correct? Either the 3 pin thingy or the molex, not both, right? And should I get a hub or a bunch of splitters? I'm not worried about controlling them so much as I thought a fan splitter between say, two, would split up the power between them so they each run at half the power. I can't afford to lose some airflow.

4) Besides the 2 crappy case fans I have 3 more rbg fans: 2 on my heatsink for my cpu and 1 Sickleflow.

5) I have one lonely pwm fan: a Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200. This is a weird fan that Noctua calls a "case fan" but it was recced to me as an exhaust fan. I should use it as an intake fan though, right?

6) OK, so:

The 2 cpu fans can be split to fit the cpu fan port. That makes 2 rbg though.

The new case has 1 arbg exhaust and arbg section on the front. The arbg cords go the arbg hub it has installed. The power will be...either pwm or molex I guess. Let's say pwm. That's 1 pwm.

I will used the Noctua, that makes 2 pwm.

The Sickleflow makes 3 rbg and 3 pwm.

The 2 purple fans will make 4 rbg and 2 dc.

1 Rosewill fan will make 3 dc.

------------------

Totals:

2 cpu fans, splitter, cpu fan port

2 for the arbg hub

4 rbg, daisy chain, rbg fan port - not sure if that's a good idea with 3 pin and 4 pin together

3 pwm, sys fan ports 1 and 2

3 dc - splitter (2) and splitter with pwm, sys fan ports 3 and 4

Is this the best way to go about it?

Solution
Please help me sort out information about fans. I will have 8 total once I'm done with this build. (I'll never be done with this build.) I have one cpu fan port and 4 sys fan ports. Also 1 rbg and 1 arbg port.

1) I took some crappy fans out of a case. They have one 3 pin cord and one molex. The fan blades are purple. On one side of each fan there is a wire coming from the center and teensy light bulb aimed at the blades. They're called LED in the ad for the case. Is that really rbg?

2) I have a 4 pack of Rosewill fans on its way to me and they are also 3 pin and a molex. No light bulb or colored fan blades though - not rbg. DC.

3) I only use one of the connectors, correct? Either the 3 pin thingy or the molex...

3) I only use one of the connectors, correct? Either the 3 pin thingy or the molex, not both, right? And should I get a hub or a bunch of splitters? I'm not worried about controlling them so much as I thought a fan splitter between say, two, would split up the power between them so they each run at half the power. I can't afford to lose some airflow.

4) Besides the 2 crappy case fans I have 3 more rbg fans: 2 on my heatsink for my cpu and 1 Sickleflow.

5) I have one lonely pwm fan: a Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200. This is a weird fan that Noctua calls a "case fan" but it was recced to me as an exhaust fan. I should use it as an intake fan though, right?

6) OK, so:

The 2 cpu fans can be split to fit the cpu fan port. That makes 2 rbg though.

The new case has 1 arbg exhaust and arbg section on the front. The arbg cords go the arbg hub it has installed. The power will be...either pwm or molex I guess. Let's say pwm. That's 1 pwm.

I will used the Noctua, that makes 2 pwm.

The Sickleflow makes 3 rbg and 3 pwm.

The 2 purple fans will make 4 rbg and 2 dc.

1 Rosewill fan will make 3 dc.

------------------

Totals:

2 cpu fans, splitter, cpu fan port

2 for the arbg hub

4 rbg, daisy chain, rbg fan port - not sure if that's a good idea with 3 pin and 4 pin together

3 pwm, sys fan ports 1 and 2

3 dc - splitter (2) and splitter with pwm, sys fan ports 3 and 4

Is this the best way to go about it?
3. Yes ONLY ONE connector at a time or you risk to blow MB. Molex connector would make them work full speed all the time, no control and no indication of speed.
The "the 3 pin thingy" to MB and make sure BIOS is set to DC control, not PWM. For fan splitters from Molex you can connect a bunch together, for 3pin on MB no more tahn 2-3 depending on how much power they need.
4. For 2 fan motors on the cooler, power to CPU_FAN header. Sickleflow. same as case fans. If it's RGB than it's RGB connector to appropriate header on MB.

Solution