More Questions lol

amdghz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
what is the ave temp on a gpu at full load because im getting 81c with furmark during the day and 74c at night. Whats the safe zone 90?

amdghz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
its brand new.. as for the case its a 04 alienware case and its got the side fan right next to the gpu.. i clean the whole case before the new build but what has me is everywhere i looked the max is 90 for the gpu so i dont know

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Nvidia cards can run in the mid 80's celsius without damaging the card. That's a bit warm but withing safe operating temps. If you notice even at that temperature your fan isn't even spinning loudly, to me that means Nvidia isn't worried about the temps your running. Nvidia card fans when spinning over 75% get quite loud so you would know if the fan was spooling up.

I recommend setting up a fan profile in MSI Afterburner, that will most likely help you keep the temps under control. I dropped my temps 10c while gaming, keeping it relatively quiet.

amdghz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
i just tested it out fan speed 100 running furmark 71c.. but like i said it runs alot cooler at night. What im thinking, its time to start drilling holes on the outside of the case

sportsfanboy

Distinguished

You might have a dust problem if you do that. Honestly your temps are fine. Just setup a fan profile so when it heats up the fan kicks in at a higher percentage then back to default at low load.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Personally I would use Afterburner, but there are other programs out there to control video card fans. A lot of people still use Rivatuner.

For example, my gtx 285 was heating up to around 85c during some moderate to heavy gaming. I was able to cut it down to 75c or so with afterburner.

amdghz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Ok.. I was getting those high results with furmark. Need for speed and others I get 70+ and when I change the fan speed to 70 percwnt it goes down to 59-60 but I'm scared ill blow up the card lol

amdghz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Will it shorten its life ? Because when it comes to changing anything internal I'm lost. That's why I've been doing nothing but asking questions and reading In this fourm. My next task is ocing every besides the memory but I'm thinking I need a bigger psu

masky007

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
hi, this topic seams like appropriate place to post my question regarding my MSI gtx HAWK 460 1gb talon attack

I have OC the card with msi afterburner and stres test it with msi kombustor with these clocks:

Core voltage +100mV (max)
Memory Voltage +100mV (max)
Aux Voltage (mV) +30 (max)
Core Clock (MHz) 930
Shader Clock (MHz) 1860
Memory Clock (MHz) 2065
Fan Sped (%) 100 (max)

The stress test lasted +15min and everything was fine before 16min i ended the stress test, the card went to maximum 77 C temperature during that time- the settings in the kombustor were set by default and the gpu was all the time stressed 98-100 %.

Is this considered a stable clock? Are the temps too high? I am planing to turn this clock only on really demanding games so dose really this clock kills my graphic card that much? I would really need to last at least 3 years.

Any info/recomendations would be in great help - this is my first clocking experience :)

thanks

masky007

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
soz for double posting - i just played starcraft II (everything maxed) at 1600x1200 and it did not went that well - i am not sure why the FPS droped down but the gpu was never 100% all the time trough 50-87%max- why is that happening? i guess the shader clock should be higher or something?