[SOLVED] More ram not recognized

Nov 30, 2019
My gigabyte motherboard - H170M-D3H GMS, supports up to 64 GB of DR4 2133. . I had (2) DR4 8G 2133 memory modules installed into slot 1 & 3. Unable to purchase the same speed, I installed (2) DR4 8G 2666 sticks into slots 1 & 3 and installed the DR4 2133 into slots 2 & 4. Upon restarting my PC, I find that only 16 G are showing. I'm running win 10 64 bit.
All 4 memory modules are Kingston Hyper X . Can someone tell me how to correct this?

Solution
There is usually trouble when mixing ram and the reason why they are sold in kits. Closer in terms of specs (Timings, freq, capacity and voltage) can increase chance of them all working, but even then, can be a crapshoot.

Could try change slots.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There is usually trouble when mixing ram and the reason why they are sold in kits. Closer in terms of specs (Timings, freq, capacity and voltage) can increase chance of them all working, but even then, can be a crapshoot.

Could try change slots.

Solution
Oct 16, 2019
Your motherboard Supports Dual Channel DDR4, 4 DIMMs. By populating 4 dimms it will not read both channels (this is means as channel A or channel B where both will run in dual channel if populated by 2 dimms, it should read channel A or slots 2 and 4 even if all are populated), where in quad channel motherboard it will read all 4 populated dimms and will show you the full amount of ram, but it will most likely cause issues because of the different speed.
Your mobo runs in only dual channel mode which means you are using only 2 dimms at a time, no matter if you have 2 or 4 installed.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your motherboard Supports Dual Channel DDR4, 4 DIMMs. By populating 4 dimms it will not read both channels (this is means as channel A or channel B where both will run in dual channel if populated by 2 dimms, it should read channel A or slots 2 and 4 even if all are populated), where in quad channel motherboard it will read all 4 populated dimms and will show you the full amount of ram, but it will most likely cause issues because of the different speed.
Your mobo runs in only dual channel mode which means you are using only 2 dimms at a time, no matter if you have 2 or 4 installed.

What are you talking about? They would be aware their motherboard is dual channel.

bignastyid

Titan
That would be completely wrong. 4 sticks in a dual channel board will see the full amount of ram and work in dual channel. I am currently running a 32GB kit(4x8Gb dimms) in a Z390 motherboard(dual channel and my system sees all 32GBs and is running in dual channel.

The OPs problem likely extends from trying to mix ram not that they have 4 dimms in a dual channel motherboard.