[SOLVED] More Ram or an SSD for Gaming?

stix45

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
So recently with my computer I've been playing a lot of demanding games such as Battlefield 5 and Arma 3. Only when i play these games however, i get stutters, freezes, and textures taking a lot longer than usually to load in.

I heard that an SSD would be good for space and game loading times but would clear up the stuttering and texture pop in? While for RAM, will it be able to handle more of the game and load more of it or not?

Which would be the better option?

Computer Specs
Windows 10 Pro
MSI X370 SLI Plus
Ryzen 7 1700
AORUS RX 580 8GB
725W Power Supply
8 GB RAM
1 TB HDD

Also as for what i would replace either with, i'm thinking a Samsung 850 EVO for an SSD or a 16GB Corsair Vengeance as replacements.

Solution
Indeed, if you currently have 2 x 4 GB ram. buy the ssd first.
500 Gb at a minimum, so you have enough room for the OS, primary programs, and a fair number of your most played games.

Never fill an SSD more than 75-80% of max available, and leave it like that, because of how ssd's work.
( or any drive, really)
So a 500GB Samsung , ( I have both a sata and a NVMe Samsung ssd.), will show approx 465 GB usable for your stuff on the boot drive. ( Windows reserved space, plus overprovisioning space.)
Leaving about 400 GB max to realistically use. Some modern titles are north of 50 GB, installed, each.
This is true of every single ssd.

Move your download folder to the platter drive, then install to the ssd.
So you don't eat space...

exroofer

Distinguished
Is that a single 8gb stick?
If yes, change that first. You are killing your performance there.
If no, and it is 2 x 4 GB sticks, get the ssd.
Best upgrade you can do for overall system "feel"
Once you have one, you will NEVER go back to a platter only pc.

A ssd will not magically make all your games run better.
But it does affect them a fair bit, depending on the game.

The problem you describe does sound like a memory issue, as in not enough of it, so the page file file is being used.
Which is bad...
Ideally you need to change both, so that's why I say it matters whether your current ram is single or dual channel.

stix45

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016

I have two sticks of 4GB in my computer right now.

A ssd is a wonderful upgrade, and a Samsung 850 evo is one of the best.
You may find 860/870 evo better priced.
Use the free Samsung ssd migration aid to move your C drive to the ssd.

I normally think of stutters as being cpu related, but since you tie the stutters to texture loads which come from the HDD, you will likely do better.

As to ram, I do not think 8gb is too small unless you are also multitasking while gaming.

exroofer

Distinguished
Indeed, if you currently have 2 x 4 GB ram. buy the ssd first.
500 Gb at a minimum, so you have enough room for the OS, primary programs, and a fair number of your most played games.

Never fill an SSD more than 75-80% of max available, and leave it like that, because of how ssd's work.
( or any drive, really)
So a 500GB Samsung , ( I have both a sata and a NVMe Samsung ssd.), will show approx 465 GB usable for your stuff on the boot drive. ( Windows reserved space, plus overprovisioning space.)
Leaving about 400 GB max to realistically use. Some modern titles are north of 50 GB, installed, each.
This is true of every single ssd.

Move your download folder to the platter drive, then install to the ssd.
So you don't eat space on the ssd with the downloaded files, they aren't what runs the game

Solution