More RAM or FASTER ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I currently have 8gbs of G-Skill @1600Mhz (12800) 9-9-9-24. I do pretty heavy gaming and streaming, so it would make sense that more RAM wouldnt help me since I'm not doing any video encoding or editing. But I wanted to hear what some of you have to say. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution

i have 8g of same speed ram and type. more ram or faster ram only going to help you if you muilt task. better off geting a faster cpu or gpu.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

rog02

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
As you have already said, adding more RAM wouldn't help you. If you are thinking about replacing your current RAM for the faster RAM, there are other factors to be considered:

1) Does your motherboard support FSB of the new RAM?
2) Can CPU work with FSB of new RAM?
3) Can GPU upgrade will be sufficient for faster gaming?

You said you have 8GB of RAM. Is it a single DIMM or two DIMMs. If it is single module and motherboard supports multichannel memory architecture, you can think of adding more DIMMs which will improve memory performance.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Yes, as my specs are below in my signature, ive had the RAM i have now since I went with a AMD build about a year ago, then switched to intel.

Its a dual channel kit. The post was more on the sense of ideas, would the faster RAM actually help much in overall performance.

Botnus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
You may want to check your motherboard and CPU before you consider RAM.

Any modern motherboard supports at least Dual-Channel RAM. This is where, out of the 4 RAM slots, slots 1 and 3 are Channel 1, and slots 2 and 4 are Channel two. If you have two sticks of 4GB RAM, try putting one stick in a Channel 1 slot, and a second stick in a Channel 2 slot. This way, instead of both sticks sharing a single bus to your Memory Controller Chip (MCC), they both send data simultaneously instead of taking turns. If your motherboard does not support dual-channel, it won't boot.

Further information about your motherboard: It doesn't matter how fast your RAM is if your motherboard operates at a slower speed. Your motherboards speed will determine how fast all of the components operate at, and this includes your RAM. If your motherboard works at 1333MHz then your 1600MHz RAM will only work at 1333MHz.

Your CPU is important because the processing power determines how quickly or efficiently it will process the data handed to it from the RAM. Obviously a more powerful CPU will be more efficient for this.

Your GPU usually uses its own built-in RAM. The only situation in which your GPU will utilize the RAM is if you have it set to use Virtual RAM. This is normally set in either your system BIOS or your video card's software (normally installed with the CD that comes with it for the drivers).

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Ok I dont want to be rude and I thank you for your reply. But I believe that my post must have been confusing. I'm in the Air Force and I work on high end computers doing surveillance. I know my way around a computer. And as my specs are stated, for some reason I'm thinking you guys might not be able to see it otherwise you wouldnt be asking me if my motherboard and CPU could support faster RAM. Again like I stated 2 other times, it was just a question to see what other peoples opinions were on upgrading the RAM speed. I know all about the compatibility the RAM needs to function correctly.

Thanks for your replies.

Botnus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012

Ok, I see what you're saying. I was in the Navy for a while as an IT myself, which is how I got started working with computers, so I can relate. I think. I'm not sure how well working on a network on a ship for 2700+ people relates to what the Air Force does. Either way, I guess the point is I can appreciate the demanding work environment and level of knowledge necessary to perform your duties.

In my opinion, once you make it to 1600MHz faster RAM won't make too much of a difference. At the same time, unless you're using RAM-consuming processes, there's no reason to add more RAM. You may want to check out your RAM utilization during your every-day processes to see where it's at.

Off-topic, but is it true that the Air Force receives hazardous duty for being the same base as marines? That was a pretty big rumor going around Cory Station back when I was in A-School that was never answered.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Yeah thats what I was thinking, 1600Mhz I thought was pretty much fast enough, I have no problem with what I'm using now I just wanted to see if it would have been worth it to upgrade to since RAM is so cheap. My uncle worked as a IT in the navy for 4 years, I'm not sure exactly what he did though.

I cant be 100% certain but I do know if your AFSC has something to do with chemicals or anything of that nature you do receive pay for it and O's get paid I believe if their on base. I'm only 19 and I've been in for 9 months, so I could be wrong so I just saying what I've heard as well. When I get off of leave I'll ask around and see if thats true. I'm almost sure it is as it would make sense but you never know.

Thanks for your reply.

Botnus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012

I think just taking note of what percentage of RAM is being utilized during every day tasks using Task Manager or Resource Monitor would give you a better idea of whether or not more RAM is necessary. If it's anywhere around 80% you may want to add more RAM. Otherwise RAM rated at 9-9-9-24 is rather common, and the delay is so small that you most likely wouldn't even notice if you had upgraded to something faster.

lol it was just a rumor I heard while in "A" school 4 years ago, there's no reason to go asking around on my behalf. I understand working with hazardous chemicals or on the flight deck or airstrip or in a war zone could be cause for incentive pay, but just being on the same base as marines seemed a little over the top. I was just curious.

Solution

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Oh I know I was wanting to ask because now I'm curious. I'm sure they would have to be in the field of working with those chemicals to get paid for it, as you most likely wont come close to the chemicals if your not in that field. And my RAM usage never exceeds above 30-35% during anything I'm doing. So I guess in my case I dont need any new RAM at all so I appreciate your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.