More Star Trek Games On The Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Can some developer/publisher just bite the bullet and actually produce one Star Trek game worthy of the lore and depth of the star trek universe? I swear, the thought has occurred to me that someone holding some sort of Star Trek copyright is sabotaging all the games for some reason because there's just no possible way that a franchise like Star Trek can't inspire the development of a truly great Trek game. Sheesh!!!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Can some developer/publisher just bite the bullet and actually produce one Star Trek game worthy of the lore and depth of the star trek universe? I swear, the thought has occurred to me that someone holding some sort of Star Trek copyright is sabotaging all the games for some reason because there's just no possible way that a franchise like Star Trek can't inspire the development of a truly great Trek game. Sheesh!!![/citation]
Amen brotha!
I'm a trekkie, my fathers a trekkie, my grandmothers a trekkie, even an old, ugly and fat lesbain that helped renovate our old house was a trekkie!
The fan base certainly exists.

Star Trek with Kirk (William Shatner) was awesome. Scotty was the best actpr though (who doesn't like an old drunk with attitude?).
Star Trek: The Next Generation with Picard (Patrick Stewart) was the best. Geordi and Data were both cool geeks.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was horrible. I think I watched 3-4 episodes.
Star Trek: Voyager with Janeway (Kate Mulgrew) was also pretty awesome. Tuvok and Seven-of-Nine were awesome.
Star Trek: Enterprise with Archer (Scott Bakula) was watchable, but only because of the insanely hot T'pol (Jolene Blalock).

I'm actually tempted to download every ST:TNG and ST:V up, and watch every single episode again.
Good times. =)

psimitry1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
It's really kind of a shame that the Trek license has been so mishandled and abused over the years. It seems that Interplay was the only company that could ever produce a great Trek game (though Activision made some good ones - just not great), but for the most part it really seems like people make a crappy game, slap the Trek logo on it and expect it to sell. It's like the producers try to draw a line between producing just any crappy game with the Trek logo because "those idiots will buy anything" but not produce a great game because "that requires money and only Trek fans will buy it."

G

I just hope that new Trek games have quality.
I would love it if BIOWARE got their hands on Trek and see what they do with it in a true RPG sense.

Imagine elements from TNG: A Final Unity, Bridge Commander and Mass Effect, all rolled into one.

That would certainly be a good base for a Trek game after all (at least in my opinion).
Throw in a great story and over 40 hours of gameplay (not to mention sequels) and you can get something that allows you to experience Trek properly.

Although, if they start catering to the lowest common denominator for bucks alone, then quality will likely not be a top priority.
I want something intelligent that makes you think.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I would love to see 2 types of games.
An FPS, updated version of Elite Force(?). Bigger levels, better weapons and class/ race types. Bring the Klingon's in with their hand to hand weapons.

A real RPG but not just as a starfleet officer but allow the player to go rogue and explore the galaxy, select their own customizable ship, pick their own crew and do their own thing. Something like a Privateer.

3rd game: Star Trek vs Star Wars?
(just had to mention it)

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I would like to see a sequel or a v 2.0 of "Birth of the Federation".
Love that game. IMO it is the best ST game ever. I

I have been a Trekker all my life and remember watching the show with my father when the episodes were in premier. I guess for that fact I personally think the best ST was TOS because it is of course is the progenitor.
I didn't care for the Next Generation much, especially the Episodes with Wesley Crusher. I did like Worf and Data as well as Riker but thought Picard was a weak dweeb.
I did enjoy the character development in DS9 and think of all the series it had the most in that department.

If I had to put them in order of fav. to least fav. it would go.

TOS
ENT
DS9
TAS
TNG
VOY

zampolit

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
LOL a lot of lackluster games? Well, STO is the worst of them. Thank gawd they've already allowed others to make games. Its time we get something with depth and quality. If we were stuck with STO due to license exclusivity, I would lose so much respect for the Star Trek genre on making such a bad business decision.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
What would be nice for a new Star Trek game would be a single player roleplaying game. Build your cadet, do various duties (ship and ground), get promoted, ... until you are your own captain. At this point, get assigned your first ship, then get to slightly customize your second ship, and nearly fully customize your third ship. (Example: Picard's movement from the Stargazer, to Enterprise D, to Enterprise E.)

At that point, you can make the choice of continuing to play this "era," or be promoted to Ambassador (back to mostly ground missions) or Admiral (Command and Conquer tactical missions.)

The inspiration for the above: Spore's delineated era system.
------------------
As for my personal ranking of the television series, from high to low:

DS9 (Overall story arc instead of being episodic.)
TNG (Grew up watching it.)
VOY (Overall story arc and got to watch it.)
ENT (The show sunk because of its constant scheduling changes on UPN, thus I wasn't able to watch it.)
TOS (I don't like Kirk as a captain. Spook's integration into TNG was wonderful, though.)

In the end, I hope the reboot of the genre makes its way to the television. (I could easily see a Babylon 5 style series.)

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
You missed a T.V. series Terr. Star Trek TAS. although not generally considered as canonical it did have some good stories and most episodes were written by established ST writers for TOS.

P.S. Kirk was 10 times the captain Picard was. :p

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008

TAS for Star Trek, in my opinion, is similar to the Ewok cartoon series for Star Wars... I don't consider it as even "existing."

As for the captain debate, we will humbly have to have our own opinions. :)

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I think I watched 3-4 episodes.[/citation]
DS9 was my favorite, the first few seasons were alright but I think the writing got better as the characters developed into their own. As for Voyager... oh God... what a travesty, sure it had it's moments but they sure liked to beat a dead horse. We get it already, no one will help you, you're on your own and despite the opportunities to defy the prime directive you wont!

The series Enterprise had an up-hill battle, they started out great... but they went on to some really weird tangents and messed with the whole history and lore of the show that made it lose it's viewership.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]DS9 was my favorite, the first few seasons were alright but I think the writing got better as the characters developed into their own. As for Voyager... oh God... what a travesty, sure it had it's moments but they sure liked to beat a dead horse. We get it already, no one will help you, you're on your own and despite the opportunities to defy the prime directive you wont!The series Enterprise had an up-hill battle, they started out great... but they went on to some really weird tangents and messed with the whole history and lore of the show that made it lose it's viewership.[/citation]
TNG was my favorite by far, I didn't like DS9 when it started but around the third season it got really good. The DS9 Tribble episode was pretty awesome. Enterprise was decent enough but UPN changed its time slot every other day so I never knew when it was on. Voyager... if the episode was about the borg or that number species, it was great, if it was about touchie feelie treehugger issues, it was terrible.

The original series will always hold a special place in my heart due to it being what got me into ST in the first place, watching them with my dad. Scotty and Spock (and later Geordi and Data) were the main reasons I became an engineer. That said, I still like TNG better as TOS was more of a "Western in Space" where the badguys were always bad and were just that way where in TNG the badguys generally had a little more backstory and reason to their actions.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Star Trek in a Mass Effect 2 styling would be my ideal game. Space exploration (would need space combat added), tons of dialogue and great FPS controls.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
A better version of Birth of the Federation strategy type game would be nice. Not those horrible RTS games that they attempted.

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Star Trek with Kirk (William Shatner) was awesome. Scotty was the best actpr though (who doesn't like an old drunk with attitude?).
Star Trek: The Next Generation with Picard (Patrick Stewart) was the best. Geordi and Data were both cool geeks.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was horrible. I think I watched 3-4 episodes.
Star Trek: Voyager with Janeway (Kate Mulgrew) was also pretty awesome. Tuvok and Seven-of-Nine were awesome.
Star Trek: Enterprise with Archer (Scott Bakula) was watchable, but only because of the insanely hot T'pol (Jolene Blalock).[/citation]
I mostly agree, but here is what I would change:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was passible (better than no Star Trek).
Star Trek: Enterprise completely sucked. I suffered through the whole first season hoping it would get better. It didn't, and not even Jolene Blalock with her smokin hot bod could pull this show out of the fire.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]P.S. Kirk was 10 times the captain Picard was.[/citation]
10x? Are you insane? Picard could outsmart Kirk any day, let's not forget that while Kirk was chopping wood, and making breakfast, Picard was trying to save the day! Let's not forget Picard was part of the Borg collective, can Kirk say the same? I didn't think so! :p

tylneren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I must say that TNG is my favorite series, but I really like Star Trek Onlines approach to it. Post Nemesis allows the story to be flexible and for the technology int he game to evolve beyond the series limits.

A mass effect style game would be great, its important to keep that element of command involed in combat as phaser battles are more about strategy rather than boom headshot.

Has anyone here played Klingon Academy? A great old space sim over something like 9 CD's with lots of film and story involved.

It allowed you to completely manage the power systems of your ship, command wingmates, beam over troops, plot flight patters and the like.

A mix of these two games in a ranging rpg universe would be a rather epic and hugely playable Star Trek game and a credit to the franchise.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
The Elite Force Games were pretty good. I would like to see a game like that, maybe a little more open world. I could never figure out why they never implemented re-modulating your phaser rifle/pistol. Would have been much cooler than using the iMod (Apple's rail gun rip-off of the 23rd Century). Would be a lot of fun if you had to take your tricorder out and have a quick mini-game to re-modulate your phaser weapons while dodging drones.

Maybe another ST:Bridge Commander Game would be nice.

My favorite from best to worst goes like this :

DS9 (Dominion War Story Arch Should have been more present though)
TNG (BORG were bad-ass)
ENT (see below)
VOY (Finale was a let down, Borg become wimps??? wth...)
TOS

I put TOS last, but I would rather watch that than almost anything on TV today. I've just seen the episodes too many times.

I love space combat in STO, but ground combat is a little on the boring side...

Status
Not open for further replies.