More than 4gig RAM?

Hamsta

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Folks,

This is my first post here so go easy on me. I am what I consider myself as a "Gamer" I have a pretty high end system with all the bells and whistles. Its actually a Voodoo Omen. I am running an Asus Crosshair Motherboard with 4 gigs of RAM, 2 Nvidia 8800 Ultras, and I'm running under Vista 64bit. My question is; If I were to increase my memory to 8 or more gigs would I see any improvement in my day to day gameplay?

Hamsta

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
no you won't see any noticeable improvement in games. mainly because the games out now are 32bit games, and can't utilize the ram.

overall vista64 should be more responsive when multitasking or if you run an app such as photoshop that can utilize the memory.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
no improvement in gameplay at all, probably not much of an improvement in even day to day use (web browsing, etc).

8GB really is overkill. For example Crysis requires 1.5GB and Fallout 3 requires 1GB.

So with vista requireing around 1GB not even all 4GB are utilized.

If the software itself is memory limited, or if you do massive multitasking then the 8GB should show an improvement under those conditions. If you aren't using the 4GB you already have, then adding more will have little impact.

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Something like the 64bit version of Photoshop CS4 could take advantage of that much memory (if you're working with high res images). Or several 32 bits apps if you're multi-tasking.