More than one laser on a mouse?

TheTeagueMyster

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hey, I was just wondering whether there was a reason that on a mouse you only have one laser, when surely you could come up with a very accurate combination of hardware/software by creating an average of several lasers, and also removing any error when in comes to silly things such a getting a piece of dirt stuck in your mouse.

I could be being stupid, and it could be down to something like cost or its to complicated to do it simply, or that there's no need/demand for it due to the current technology already being good enough.

That was it really more general intrigue than anything, please let me know if I haven't been clear on something.

Jon

there is no point to it.

one laser is sufficient to track 2d motion. multiple lasers would be required only for 3d movement tracking.

i've never had a piece of dirt cause an issue with optical or laser mice. stop using your mousepad as a plate.

in general... dont fix what aint broke.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
well i have heard that sometimes mouses have 2 DIFFERENT laser sets, since there are some surfaces that works better with each of them, so it should only be using one at a time if the surface is a glasse that isn't working well on one, and works great on the other laser, it will use the other. nothing about that is confirmed but yes, it makes sense.

Razor has a new niche market "Hairy Mousing Surface"

I love my MX mouse, but mostly due to the shape and balance/weight of it, does not feel like you are about to fling if off your desk when you move it around quickly.