More TMPGEnc problems...

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

Thanks to all that gave advice to my previous TMPGEnc bitrate-related
questions. However, more problems have arisen that I have not been
able to solve:

1) When I create a MPEG-1 VCD compliant file in TMPGEnc using the
DVD2AVI Wav file and d2v project file as inputs, the first several
chapters of the mpg file have audio and video perfectly synced.
However, for the last two chapters, the audio and video are out of
sync by almost 3 seconds. It's not a gradual async problem like the
ones I've read about; it's black and white: perfectly synced, or 3
seconds off. Any ideas?

2) I thought I might be able to solve this problem by joining the
DVDDecrypted VOBs beforehand, using VobEdit, and then loading the new
VOB into TMPGEnc. However, after loading all of the VOB in VobEdit and
pressing the Join CellVob command, the program simply does nothing. It
sounded so simple. Anyone have any VobEdit experience that can tell me
what I'm maybe doing wrong?

3) I also thought I could join the VOBs in TMPGEnc using the MPEG
Tools -> Merge/Cut option by adding all the VOBs and then outputting
them to merged VCD compliant MPEG-1 file (basically skipping a step!).
However...

TMPGEnc seems to be able to recognize VTS_01_1.VOB as a legitimate
MPEG-2 file. However, it cannot recognize VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB,
VTS_01_4.VOB or VTS_01_5.VOB. It says that they are "not valid MPEG
1/2 files or are unsupported". However, all 5 of the above VOB files
are readable and play in Windows Media Player 9. Any ideas as to why
TMPGEnc will recognize certain VOBs and not others, even from the same
DVD?!

Thanks again to anyone that can help with any of the above problems.
Much appreciated. I'm glad most of these applications are free, but it
just doesn't seem to me that this stuff should be THIS problematic...

"No Such Luck" <no_suchluck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all that gave advice to my previous TMPGEnc bitrate-related
> questions. However, more problems have arisen that I have not been
> able to solve:
>
> 1) When I create a MPEG-1 VCD compliant file in TMPGEnc using the
> DVD2AVI Wav file and d2v project file as inputs, the first several
> chapters of the mpg file have audio and video perfectly synced.
> However, for the last two chapters, the audio and video are out of
> sync by almost 3 seconds. It's not a gradual async problem like the
> ones I've read about; it's black and white: perfectly synced, or 3
> seconds off. Any ideas?
>
> 2) I thought I might be able to solve this problem by joining the
> DVDDecrypted VOBs beforehand, using VobEdit, and then loading the new
> VOB into TMPGEnc. However, after loading all of the VOB in VobEdit and
> pressing the Join CellVob command, the program simply does nothing. It
> sounded so simple. Anyone have any VobEdit experience that can tell me
> what I'm maybe doing wrong?
>
> 3) I also thought I could join the VOBs in TMPGEnc using the MPEG
> Tools -> Merge/Cut option by adding all the VOBs and then outputting
> them to merged VCD compliant MPEG-1 file (basically skipping a step!).
> However...
>
> TMPGEnc seems to be able to recognize VTS_01_1.VOB as a legitimate
> MPEG-2 file. However, it cannot recognize VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB,
> VTS_01_4.VOB or VTS_01_5.VOB. It says that they are "not valid MPEG
> 1/2 files or are unsupported". However, all 5 of the above VOB files
> are readable and play in Windows Media Player 9. Any ideas as to why
> TMPGEnc will recognize certain VOBs and not others, even from the same
> DVD?!
>
> Thanks again to anyone that can help with any of the above problems.
> Much appreciated. I'm glad most of these applications are free, but it
> just doesn't seem to me that this stuff should be THIS problematic...

For most, it isn't. What you appear to be trying to do, fit a 9gig DL
DVD into a 650meg CD, by processing the compressed files; is not as
likely to produce satisfactory results as other approaches. Even playing
the DVD and capturing the analog signal would give better results than
what you seem to be doing. You could capture and/or encode into DivX
or MPEG4 if you wanted to.

If you must try it this way you could do one of the following:

1. Obtain a program specifically designed to do what you want, like
DVD2SVCD or some such, and follow the instructions.

2. Use DVDShrink, again follow the instructions.

3. Find a Guide or Article from such as www.videohelp.com that
addresses the process you want, and again follow the instructions.

It comes as no surprise that TMPGEnc would have problems using
the output of a program that turns compressed MPEG2 into a less
compressed AVI, as its input to make a highly compressed MPEG1.
To make the claim that this is "more TMPGEnc problems..." is not
fair unless their instructions are telling you to do it this way, with the
sources you are using.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<40ef9f0f$0$33291$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>...

> "No Such Luck" <no_suchluck@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Thanks again to anyone that can help with any of the above problems.
> > Much appreciated. I'm glad most of these applications are free, but it
> > just doesn't seem to me that this stuff should be THIS problematic...
>
> For most, it isn't. What you appear to be trying to do, fit a 9gig DL
> DVD into a 650meg CD, by processing the compressed files; is not as
> likely to produce satisfactory results as other approaches. Even playing
> the DVD and capturing the analog signal would give better results than
> what you seem to be doing. You could capture and/or encode into DivX
> or MPEG4 if you wanted to.

Thanks for the response, Ken.

It's actually a 4.7 GB DVD, and I'm trying to fit it on a 650 MB VCD.
Even if you don't approve of the digital quality of this procedure, it
is a very well documented procedure (see below), apparently done very
often, and I like to see if I can accomplish it, myself.

> If you must try it this way you could do one of the following:
>
> 1. Obtain a program specifically designed to do what you want, like
> DVD2SVCD or some such, and follow the instructions.

I have tried using DVD2SVCD with no luck so far. If it was a stand
alone application, I may have had some success with it. However, it
makes calls to external applications such as CCE, DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc,
some of which are the very applications I am struggling with.

> 2. Use DVDShrink, again follow the instructions.

I have actually had a bit of recent luck so far with this app. Thanks.

> 3. Find a Guide or Article from such as www.videohelp.com that
> addresses the process you want, and again follow the instructions.

I have; see below.

> It comes as no surprise that TMPGEnc would have problems using
> the output of a program that turns compressed MPEG2 into a less
> compressed AVI, as its input to make a highly compressed MPEG1.

Every document I have read online states specifically that TMPGEnc can
accept a WAV audio stream and a d2v project from DVD2AVI, and produce
a sync'd VCD compliant MPEG-1 file.

> To make the claim that this is "more TMPGEnc problems..." is not
> fair unless their instructions are telling you to do it this way, with the
> sources you are using.

I've been using many procedures listed on www.videohelp.com, but
mainly this one:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/84759.php

I'll concede that I am unfamilar with TMPGEnc, and may at times use it
incorrectly, but I'll restate what I said in my original post:

1) TMPGEnc supposedly has full MPEG-2 support. However, it accepts
some VOB files as legit MPEG-2 files and rejects others, even if the
VOBs were decrypted from the same DVD. To me, this is a "problem", and
neither the TMPGEnc help files, the TMPGEnc website,
groups.google.com, nor www.videohelp.com seem to address this issue.

2) The above cited article clearly states that TMPGEnc should take the
WAV audio result and the d2v project result from DVD2AVI, and create a
perfect VCD compliant MPEG-1 file; whereas I am getting async
problems. This is also a "problem".

Thanks again for the help!

I would suggest playing with the Stream processing of DVD Decrypter
IFO mode ripping.

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
> > "No Such Luck" <no_suchluck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > > Thanks again to anyone that can help with any of the above problems.
> > > Much appreciated. I'm glad most of these applications are free, but it
> > > just doesn't seem to me that this stuff should be THIS problematic...
> >
> > For most, it isn't. What you appear to be trying to do, fit a 9gig
DL
> > DVD into a 650meg CD, by processing the compressed files; is not as
> > likely to produce satisfactory results as other approaches. Even
playing
> > the DVD and capturing the analog signal would give better results than
> > what you seem to be doing. You could capture and/or encode into DivX
> > or MPEG4 if you wanted to.
>
> Thanks for the response, Ken.
>
> It's actually a 4.7 GB DVD, and I'm trying to fit it on a 650 MB VCD.
> Even if you don't approve of the digital quality of this procedure, it
> is a very well documented procedure (see below), apparently done very
> often, and I like to see if I can accomplish it, myself.
>
> > If you must try it this way you could do one of the following:
> >
> > 1. Obtain a program specifically designed to do what you want, like
> > DVD2SVCD or some such, and follow the instructions.
>
> I have tried using DVD2SVCD with no luck so far. If it was a stand
> alone application, I may have had some success with it. However, it
> makes calls to external applications such as CCE, DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc,
> some of which are the very applications I am struggling with.
>
> > 2. Use DVDShrink, again follow the instructions.
>
> I have actually had a bit of recent luck so far with this app. Thanks.
>
> > 3. Find a Guide or Article from such as www.videohelp.com that
> > addresses the process you want, and again follow the instructions.
>
> I have; see below.
>
> > It comes as no surprise that TMPGEnc would have problems using
> > the output of a program that turns compressed MPEG2 into a less
> > compressed AVI, as its input to make a highly compressed MPEG1.
>
> Every document I have read online states specifically that TMPGEnc can
> accept a WAV audio stream and a d2v project from DVD2AVI, and produce
> a sync'd VCD compliant MPEG-1 file.
>
> > To make the claim that this is "more TMPGEnc problems..." is not
> > fair unless their instructions are telling you to do it this way, with
the
> > sources you are using.
>
> I've been using many procedures listed on www.videohelp.com, but
> mainly this one:
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/84759.php
>
> I'll concede that I am unfamilar with TMPGEnc, and may at times use it
> incorrectly, but I'll restate what I said in my original post:
>
> 1) TMPGEnc supposedly has full MPEG-2 support.

TMPegEnc has 30 day trial support for MPEG2, The Plus version that you pay
for has full mpeg-2 support.

However, it accepts
> some VOB files as legit MPEG-2 files and rejects others, even if the
> VOBs were decrypted from the same DVD. To me, this is a "problem", and
> neither the TMPGEnc help files, the TMPGEnc website,
> groups.google.com, nor www.videohelp.com seem to address this issue.
>
> 2) The above cited article clearly states that TMPGEnc should take the
> WAV audio result and the d2v project result from DVD2AVI, and create a
> perfect VCD compliant MPEG-1 file; whereas I am getting async
> problems. This is also a "problem".
>
> Thanks again for the help!

Any method of re-encoding that takes a 2 hour movie on DVD and squeezes it
down to 1 650 mb CD-R in mpeg1 or mpeg2 will look absolutely terrible when
compared the original material.

Now if you are trying to go to some version mpeg4(mpeg4, DivX, XVid, etc..)
you might have better results.

BTW, if you cant get DVD2SVCD to work correctly, or TMPegenc, chances are
good you have a system problem that needs to be addressed.

Perhaps a format and re-install of your system will cure the problems you
are having. I have made at 40-50 vcd/svcd/kvcd/etc...using either DVD2SVCD
or more manual ways using TMpegenc and it works flawlessly.