Question More Vram or faster speed

OldSchoolGamer462

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
i wonder if its better for a gpu to have 1gb vram and core clock 1000mhz and memory clock 5000 mhz or is a 2gb vram core clock 900mhz and memory clock 2000mhz better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, VRAM and clock rates are only a small part of a card's overall performance. They could have wildly different numbers of graphics cores or be from totally different generations. Knowing exactly what cards you are looking at and what you intend to use them for would be necessary to determine which is "better".

It would also help to know what hardware is in your existing system, to determine whether the parts are compatible and whether they would be a worthwhile upgrade or not.

OldSchoolGamer462

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
i
Yeah, VRAM and clock rates are only a small part of a card's overall performance. They could have wildly different numbers of graphics cores or be from totally different generations. Knowing exactly what cards you are looking at and what you intend to use them for would be necessary to determine which is "better".

It would also help to know what hardware is in your existing system, to determine whether the parts are compatible and whether they would be a worthwhile upgrade or not.
m comparing a gt 730 fermi ddr3 2gb https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-128-bit-DirectX-2GD3V3/dp/B015DROZM8 with a card that i dont remember its name https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R567OC-1GI/sp#sp

i5 3470 3,20 - 3,60 ghz
4gb ram 1333 mhz
500gb hdd
125 gb ssd
500W psu

Last edited:
Are you buying these cards "new" or used? They are both pretty old designs at this point. I certainly wouldn't pay the $70 Amazon is asking for a GT 730, as it's now possible to get faster, newer cards for not much more, like a GT 1030. Or on the used market, it's possible to find cards that are multiple times faster still, such as an RX 570 4GB, for under $100.

Out of those two cards you listed though, the HD 5670 should normally be faster, as that GT 730 is the version with slower DDR3 VRAM, making it a fair amount slower. On the other hand, if you are trying to play any semi-recent games, the 2GB of VRAM on the GT 730 might be needed, especially since your system only has 4GB of RAM to fall back on when the VRAM fills.

Again though, personally I would look for a significantly faster card than either if you can stretch your budget a bit, as both of those options are still far below the performance level of other cards you can find for under $100. It would also probably be worth upgrading to at least 8GB of RAM, as you should be able to find DDR3 rather cheap on the used market these days. This is assuming you are looking at a card for gaming, of course.

OldSchoolGamer462

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Are you buying these cards "new" or used? They are both pretty old designs at this point. I certainly wouldn't pay the $70 Amazon is asking for a GT 730, as it's now possible to get faster, newer cards for not much more, like a GT 1030. Or on the used market, it's possible to find cards that are multiple times faster still, such as an RX 570 4GB, for under $100.

Out of those two cards you listed though, the HD 5670 should normally be faster, as that GT 730 is the version with slower DDR3 VRAM, making it a fair amount slower. On the other hand, if you are trying to play any semi-recent games, the 2GB of VRAM on the GT 730 might be needed, especially since your system only has 4GB of RAM to fall back on when the VRAM fills.

Again though, personally I would look for a significantly faster card than either if you can stretch your budget a bit, as both of those options are still far below the performance level of other cards you can find for under $100. It would also probably be worth upgrading to at least 8GB of RAM, as you should be able to find DDR3 rather cheap on the used market these days. This is assuming you are looking at a card for gaming, of course.
yea i agree with you but the problem is that because of corona im in a HUGE budget and i found those 2 cards in good condition for 15 euros so yea i thought why not. Also my gt 730 used to play few games like gta 5 to normal - high settings and i could render up to 8k in 3 minutes. So for render and old games or new but less demanding games and for render would the HD gpu be better or the gt 730? (the HD can overclock same as the gt 730) or should i combine 2 gt 730 in once pc instead of just buying that radeon hd?

Last edited: