More Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Does anyone read articles for content anymore?
Every time I read articles now the first 10 posts are know-it-alls correcting spelling and grammar. Who cares? I understood what the article is supposed to say, is it really that important to make sure every small tech update is grammatically flawless?

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Does anyone read articles for content anymore? Every time I read articles now the first 10 posts are know-it-alls correcting spelling and grammar. Who cares? I understood what the article is supposed to say, is it really that important to make sure every small tech update is grammatically flawless?[/citation]

Does anyone proofread the articles they post anymore? Every time I read the comments on an article now there's some guy whining about all the people who are correcting spelling and grammar. Who cares? I understand what all those people are trying to say, is it really that bad to expect everyone that makes tech updates to do actually proofread the things they post so that people won't be able to point out their mistakes?

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]wasteoftime[/nom]Does anyone proofread the articles they post anymore? Every time I read the comments on an article now there's some guy whining about all the people who are correcting spelling and grammar. Who cares? I understand what all those people are trying to say, is it really that bad to expect everyone that makes tech updates to do actually proofread the things they post so that people won't be able to point out their mistakes?[/citation]

The temptation was too much to resist.

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Idk, when I read an article on a bigger site like this, I'd expect the people writing the articles to know as much as english writing skills as they do computer skills.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Does anyone read articles for content anymore? Every time I read articles now the first 10 posts are know-it-alls correcting spelling and grammar. Who cares? I understood what the article is supposed to say, is it really that important to make sure every small tech update is grammatically flawless?[/citation]
A lot of readers care about grammar and spelling because for every error in an article, it forces the reader to do a double-take, which wastes time. Sometimes we have to reread the sentence, go back a few times, sound it out, and decipher the meaning in order to figure out what the writer meant to say. Instead of reading an article, we have now begun working with heiroglyphics.

Over time this gets really frustrating, which is when you'll see comments pointing these mistakes out. Deep down, we're hoping the writer will learn and not make the same mistake twice, which ultimately cuts down on how long it will take us to read his next article.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I hope tom can answer this very important qestion for potential buyers.

Tom, do you happen to know what version of windows 7 upgrade they will offer through there free program if you buy a laptop over the summer?

i understand there will be a couple versions of windows 7. and the offer would not be worth it if they just upgraded you to a basic windows 7.

so my question is if i get a laptop with vista home premium over the summer. will i get a free upgrade to Windows 7 Premium?

god i sure hope so. if so i mjay indeed buy a new laptop

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]efeat[/nom]The temptation was too much to resist.[/citation]
Muphry's Law strikes.

[citation][nom]Platypus[/nom]A lot of readers care about grammar and spelling because for every error in an article, it forces the reader to do a double-take, which wastes time. Sometimes we have to reread the sentence, go back a few times, sound it out, and decipher the meaning in order to figure out what the writer meant to say. [/citation]
Then you haven't been trained to read very well. I can read an article full of minor errors without picking up any of them. Of course I can't do that with show stoppers but its vs it's is not one of them.

phludens

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Brother Shrike[/nom]editing is key

it's free upgrade plan was listed to expire after October 22....[/citation] .... I believe that this would be correct as it is possessive.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006

Just use firefox...It will catch every spelling error you make!!!!

davekozy

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]What's a hard disk copy? Did you mean a Compact Disc?[/citation]
You get a free hard drive with the Windows 7 upgrade. Busy Buy sure is feeling generous. Must be all the extra money since Circuit City tanked.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Judguh[/nom]Idk, when I read an article on a bigger site like this, I'd expect the people writing the articles to know as much as english writing skills as they do computer skills.[/citation]
They seem to be somewhat related. TH is lately getting famous for no technical or grammar skills at all, except promoting marketing droid BS for money.

leafblower29

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]davekozy[/nom]You get a free hard drive with the Windows 7 upgrade. Busy Buy sure is feeling generous. Must be all the extra money since Circuit City tanked.[/citation]

OMG that is the funniest comment ever.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
My apologies for the "Busy Buy" typo. It's been fixed. Thanks for the head's up guys.

@winterlord:
No confirmation yet on what package will be offered from Microsoft. It's still up in the air. Apparently Microsoft is making some last minute changes to its Windows 7 SKU options and promotions. We'll follow up on this one.

/ Tuan

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Platypus[/nom]A lot of readers care about grammar and spelling because for every error in an article, it forces the reader to do a double-take, which wastes time. Sometimes we have to reread the sentence, go back a few times, sound it out, and decipher the meaning in order to figure out what the writer meant to say. Instead of reading an article, we have now begun working with heiroglyphics.Over time this gets really frustrating, which is when you'll see comments pointing these mistakes out. Deep down, we're hoping the writer will learn and not make the same mistake twice, which ultimately cuts down on how long it will take us to read his next article.[/citation]

My sincere apologies for this one. Avoiding typos have been improving over the last several months. Admittedly, the "Busy" Buy was a bad one. Btw, you typed hieroglyphics incorrectly. :)

/ Tuan

tsponholz

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Asus is already giving out the upgrades!

I just bought an Asus laptop for my dad on Fathers Day. The retail box already had an included pamphlet with details on how to obtain your upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes available. You can log into their site as early as June 26 to sign up for the upgrade.

The pamphlet stated that only purchases made after June 26 would qualify, but it seemed to imply it would still work for anyone willing to fudge the purchase date. At least that's my guess and what I'll be trying.

I wish I remembered to scan the thing before letting my Dad take it away.

tsponholz

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
[citation][nom]tsponholz[/nom]Asus is already giving out the upgrades!I just bought an Asus laptop for my dad on Fathers Day. The retail box already had an included pamphlet with details on how to obtain your upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes available. You can log into their site as early as June 26 to sign up for the upgrade.The pamphlet stated that only purchases made after June 26 would qualify, but it seemed to imply it would still work for anyone willing to fudge the purchase date. At least that's my guess and what I'll be trying.I wish I remembered to scan the thing before letting my Dad take it away.[/citation]

I got some info off the insert, which include the website for signing up for your upgrade.

The insert does not say much other than the upgrades are:
Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium
Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional
Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]phludens[/nom].... I believe that this would be correct as it is possessive.[/citation]
And I believe you would be incorrect as "it's" is only used as a contraction of "it" and "is". "Its" is the correct possessive form of "it", and it's not the only time that this happens because "it" is a pronoun. The rule "noun + apostrophe + s = possessive" does not apply to pronouns. "Yours", "mine", "ours", "his", "hers", "its", and "theirs" are all the possessive pronouns we use every day in the English language. This isn't all of the possessive pronouns in the English language, just the ones we use every day.
I also believe an ellipses has only three periods and that there is no space between an ellipses and the following word unless you are using the ellipses to end a sentence and then start a new one (but why you would do such a thing is beyond me!).
[citation][nom]Judguh[/nom]Idk, when I read an article on a bigger site like this, I'd expect the people writing the articles to know as much as english writing skills as they do computer skills.[/citation]
"I don't know" what you mean by "bigger site" because you are not directly comparing it to any other site that would justify the superlative. I also expect someone who criticizes someone's grammar to care as much about proper English as an actual English teacher.

Read pages 63-72 in your grammar books and complete the exercises on page 73 as your homework to be due on Thursday.
[/grammarlesson]

Status
Not open for further replies.