More X79 Motherboards Revealed by Manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Interesting how the ram slots are now divided evenly on each side of the cpu socket. That could be a problem as some coolers block the first memory slot, and now they will block two.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Yay! New P67/Z68 boards with quad-channel memory tacked on!

Because there's nothing new here, folks. It should really just be called X68 because there's nothing new in the chipset other than a lot of pins.

I mean:
-No native USB 3.0 ports
-No replacement for USB 3.0 ports (Light Peak/Thunderbolt) in sight
-Not enough native SATA 6GB/s ports (there are TWO).

And the only real reason to buy a board like this is with a processor that costs 600+ dollars (existence of the i7-3820 is completely redundant due to the i7-2700K, which performs no better in games than the i5-2500K does).

It's not actually a real enthusiast platform.
If it were, it would have the features above.
It's just priced that way, because it can be.

[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Yay! New P67/Z68 boards with quad-channel memory tacked on!Because there's nothing new here, folks. It should really just be called X68 because there's nothing new in the chipset other than a lot of pins.I mean:-No native USB 3.0 ports-No replacement for USB 3.0 ports (Light Peak/Thunderbolt) in sight-Not enough native SATA 6GB/s ports (there are TWO).And the only real reason to buy a board like this is with a processor that costs 600+ dollars (existence of the i7-3820 is completely redundant due to the i7-2700K, which performs no better in games than the i5-2500K does).It's not actually a real enthusiast platform. If it were, it would have the features above.It's just priced that way, because it can be.[/citation]

If your buying these types of motherboards... your propably not looking for gaming unless your looking at tri or 4-way gpu setup.....

Mainly these board will be used for stuff that's memory limited or memory bandwidth limited such as rendering.

Look beyond the gaming world ;)

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Like Bulldozer, this is more of a cheapo server than a gaming platform. As long as the current console generation lingers on, nobody is pushing any boundaries in terms of hardware, except for video cards. You could still be playing on an old core 2 duo and in 99% of games see no performance difference between that and one of these chips, just because well designed games use almost no cpu time and do every computation on the gpu.

Likewise, good games dont use almost any ram, because all the textures / models / etc are on the gpu. All you have on the cpu is the games internal representation of the game world and all the settings for the game to operate on.

So you dont need more than 4gb of ram, with pretty wide frequency yields, you dont need more than a dual core cpu (because all the parallel work is being done gpu side anyway) just so the OS is running on one core and the game runs uninterrupted on the other.

The bottlenecks always reduce to the gpu doing more complex rendering math and the hard drive loading textures (and with sufficient video memory, you just load every texture before you even use it and the hard drive latency becomes irrelevant except at start up of the game). So you just want an SSD for start up time and first load times and the best gpu you can get to paint sparkly lights.

So gaming platform wise, none of these recent releases mean dirt. Nothing has for a while, except graphics cards. We oversell the processor and ram and undersell the gpu - its always worth it to go from a 570 to a 580 and trade in the i7 for an i5 and the 12 gigs ram for 4 gigs. The main system really doesnt matter anymore, its that giant hunk of independent computer doing all the rendering that is important now.

Servers though, especially for the web, will be all over this. 16 - 32 gb system ram + 8 threads to run at 4.5 - 5 ghz is enough to host a pretty popular web site for a hella lot less than a server rack. You could easily handle a butt load of web framework page generation on a system built in a traditional case now, and that is where these platforms have their place to shine - highly parallel web frameworks that need all the pages in ram to build html css and javascript to ship to a fewer as fast as possible.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
If by 'enthusiast' you mean the people who will upgrade after every refresh, then yes, these are enthusiast parts. Sensible people like myself will stick with what we have. ^.^ Not worth setting back my C7 Corvette ownership date.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
As a footnote though, going forward, those web servers are drooling to start utilizing stream processors. Doing parallel page construction is a hard but doable problem, and it makes non parallel machines practically worthless. Its a viable idea to have one of these systems with some workstation graphics to do anything parallel you can pull off in openCL, but looking forward expect the web server of 2015 to just be truckloads of ram and truckloads of processor cores with an SSD the size of ram just for whenever the system gets rebooted (obviously have a backup power supply to provide uninterrupted access).

TheViper

Distinguished
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]-No native USB 3.0 ports
-No replacement for USB 3.0 ports (Light Peak/Thunderbolt) in sight
-Not enough native SATA 6GB/s ports (there are TWO)[/citation]
I see USB 3 on the I/O panel for all of them.
EVGA is the only board with just 2 SATA 6 Gb/s ports. The ASUS boards have 4 and the Gigabyte boards have 6.

[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]I see USB 3 on the I/O panel for all of them.EVGA is the only board with just 2 SATA 6 Gb/s ports. The ASUS boards have 4 and the Gigabyte boards have 6.[/citation]

What he is meaning is native connections to the chipset (in this case the X79) instead of using an extra controller on the MB to achieve the same thing.

Even with this chipset, it wont have "true" native usb 3.0.

Although about the "not enough sata 6GB/s ports", According to wiki, there should be enough ports 6GBs
for MB markers to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_X79

Features

6× SATA 6 Gbps ports
4× SATA 3 Gbps ports
PCI Express 3.0 ×4 uplink for dedicated storage bandwidth
8 PCIe 2.0 lanes
14 USB 2.0 ports
Integrated Gigabit Ethernet MAC (Lewisville PHY)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise 3.0
SATA RAID support (0/1/10/5)
Write journaling
100 MHz BCLK
Supports processor, memory and chipset overclocking
Supports Intel Extreme Tuning Utility 3.0 (XTU)
8-layer PCB, 2 oz copper recommended

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
These things have like... gigiquads worth of RAM expandability...

32 GB of RAM, easy, for like 200 bux. 64 GB if you need some kind of crazy rendering thang goin' on... About 1000 bux... Unreal...

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
If Intel can build at least 10 SATA 6.0's and stop limiting choices to just 6 things would improve. Remember some of us accumulate SSD's the way others accumulate money.

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]Just imagine 4 way SLI with GTX590's[/citation]
Just imagine the radiation pouring into the air and your electricity meter spinning as fast as a Raptor hdd :)

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Yay! New P67/Z68 boards with quad-channel memory tacked on!Because there's nothing new here, folks. It should really just be called X68 because there's nothing new in the chipset other than a lot of pins.I mean:-No native USB 3.0 ports-No replacement for USB 3.0 ports (Light Peak/Thunderbolt) in sight-Not enough native SATA 6GB/s ports (there are TWO).And the only real reason to buy a board like this is with a processor that costs 600+ dollars (existence of the i7-3820 is completely redundant due to the i7-2700K, which performs no better in games than the i5-2500K does).It's not actually a real enthusiast platform. If it were, it would have the features above.It's just priced that way, because it can be.[/citation]

Ya you really need to revise your thinking. I am absolutely stoked about this platform, and not because I need a new gaming rig. I want it for the 8 DIMM's. Can't beat that at all!

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
[citation][nom]yzfr1guy[/nom]Just imagine the radiation pouring into the air and your electricity meter spinning as fast as a Raptor hdd[/citation]

BWAHAHAHA, I still have a few old raptors. Never again will I see a hard drive that is trusted as these are.

I think the trend is the other way. Microscopic boards with some kind of weird science cold fusion chemcially etched circuts,

Status
Not open for further replies.