Votes: 42 64.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
I'm bored so,

Did you like Morrowind or Oblivion better? I am currently pretty far into oblivion and am really liking it. I haven't played Morrowind yet.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Well, obviously Oblivion is going to be improved in almost every way - Bethesda did a complete overhaul. I really like the UI in Oblivion. I like the way Oblivion handles magic and fighting. I like the new weapon system. I do, however, miss the feeling of how big morrowind is. Fast travel in Oblivion can cheapen the experience somewhat. The storyline in Morrowind is a little more detailed, I think, but that would be because it is much easier to have a paragraph of text appear on the screen (Morrowind) than to write out a paragraph of text, pay someone to dub the paragraph to the appropriate character, and lip sync the paragraph. Not to mention it is more boring listening to text than reading at your own pace. There is not much I miss from Morrowind, but if they made an Elder Scrolls III Redux then I would be the happiest little gamer in the world.

Kenelm

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I like Morrowind better. Of course, Oblivion graphics, AI, and combat systems are much better, but Morrowind has such a wonderful scenery ; lava rivers, lush forests, ash deserts, strange dwarven ruins, incredible creatures, wicked buildings, weird weapons and armors... It's unlike anything I've seen before.
But Oblivion is just your standard medieval RPG, and I thinks it seriously lacks originality.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I'm going to go with Oblivion. I really enjoyed Oblivion quite a bit. Morrowind on the other hand, I started a game, had no real direction or purpose. As far as I could tell I was just released from prison or something with no explanation or goal. There was some weak plot hook about a note or something I was supposed to take somewhere, but I didn't feel any importance to it at all. I explored for a little bit, quickly got in trouble with NPCs for trying to nick their stuff, got bored and gave up.

In Oblivion you start off in prison, Then the King Himself breaks you out, you help him fight his way to an ambush and are left with his pendant which it is vitally important you deliver. You are a part of the action, there are obvious important overtones and there is a real sense of urgency. I was hooked right away. THAT is how an RPG should introduce you to the plot. Not some weak limp wristed courier mission with no weight behind it.

Other than the plot hooks, I can't really compare the two since I didn't get very far in Morrowind as a result.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I would also go with Oblivion. It's one of the best game I've played in the genre and gave me countless hours of entertainment. I had bought the game when it came out and although I found the price was expensive at the time (60$), It was worth every penny.

That being said, Oblivion didn't strike me as much as Morrowind did (I remember the first scene when you get out of the boat and you see this huge giraffe like insect). I would probably give the same score to both games for the time it came out. I think they did an amazing job in both games.

Saedeas

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
I voted Morrowind because I loved its atmosphere so much more than Oblivion's. I also felt that fast travel ruined Oblivion for me. I know I didn't have to use it, but it still killed the sense of a huge world for me as I could travel across it without any effort if I needed to.

There was also a much greater sense of wonder for me in Morrowind. I loved the clash among the houses (Redoran, Hiaalu, and Telvanni), and the feeling of exploration. I remember just walking into random ass caves and finding a cult housing legendary weapons and just other things that were awesome. I found half the legendaries in that game by accident and exploration.

Edit: There was also the fact that you could make your character a veritable god in Morrowind with the right gear choices. If you killed King Helseth after doing all of Tribunal and took his ring that makes you 100% immune to magic, you could use the boots of blinding speed without any negative effects. Three hundred speed is awesome.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

I bought it of ebay for $16.50 with everything. Yes I actually bought it and didn't pirate it. :p

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I voted Morrowind.

I've tried 5 times at least to get into Oblivion but it doesn't work for me.

For my Elder Scrolls fix I've resorted to playing Morrowind again as a thief with as many graphical facelifts as I could find (they really help).

Even though I only play every couple of weeks or so - still way more involving for me than Oblivion.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
oblivion is much better the characters actually talk so i am not stuck reading 5 million pages to find the location of some impossible to find place , that just makes the game frustrating

Chazwuzzer

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I really liked Oblivion a lot but it was less entralling than Morrowind.

Oblivion:
Ran well for how good it looked (minus a wierd issue that I have now)
Fairly large
Good voice acting
Decent combat
OK main plotline
awful monster/npc levelling (somewhat curable via mods)

Morrowind:
Ran like crap
Huge and loaded with interesting locations.
Zillion interesting side quests
More complex skill system
OK main plotline
Best fan-made mods for any game ever

So, it is close with me. If I didn't have an annoying (and apparently unfixable) glitch with my current rig, I'd prolly give Oblivion another shake, but I can't deal with the glitch (sometimes called "microstutter")

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bought Arena back in the day, and felt so burned that I steered clear of the entire Elder Scrolls series for years until everyone started carrying on about Oblivion. So I went and bought the Morrowind collection for like $20, which came with both expansions. I played it for a while, but eventually got kind of bored with it. Too many sidequests, not enough mainquests, the setting is just too BIG, so you spend endless hours just walking though volcanic wastelands, not nearly enough variety in monsters, quests, etc. Plus my computer crashed while playing it, a lot. Better than Arena - Arena was just a plotless randomized dungeon-hack.

I did go back and finish the main game and the Tribunal expansion a few months ago - didn't bother with Bloodmoon, was bored again and had The Witcher sitting on my shelf (which I enjoyed MUCH more).

I'd give Oblivion a try, and there's a collection version out now... but I'll probably wait another year or two until the price drops before I mess with it.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

I bought the normal version used off ebay for $16.50 box and all as I said above. What kind of price are you looking for? I thought it was well worth the 16 bones....

If you are just going to try it out then I wouldn't recommend dropping the extra cash for the collection edition. You can download all the expansions later if you like the game.

I am still playing around in Oblivion without any expansions or mods and there is plenty to do. As soon as I beat it and max out my character I will start modding :)

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I voted for Morrowind, I really like both games, but there was somthing about Morrowind that Oblivion did not have, the graphics and fighting in Oblivion are vastly improved, and it is nice that the NPCs walk around and talk to each other rather then just stand around or walk a small patrol, and the compass helps so that I don't get lost as much. But Morrowind seemed to have a deeper atmospher and offered more freedom, I also liked how legendary wepons and armor were hidden in different caves all over the place, and how things like ebony armor were a bit more rare and only used by a few people. I liked how you could use magic to fly and even though it was kind of cheap I liked being able to make a ring of constant healing, making my charactor almost invincible. I also liked how enamies did not levelup as much with you as much as in Oblivion, in Morrowind you would start out as weak as regular people and gradualy levelup to the point that only boss type enamies could hurt you. I liked the story line with the feuding houses and how you could join them and just about any of the different factions in the game. In Oblivion I do like how the guild quests all have a more clear story line though. Both are great games and good for taking up hundreds of hours of game play time.

Tulisin

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Oblivion was shiny, but I agree that the quick transport/fact that you could see the entire world from across the valley kind of shrunk the world and cheapened the adventure.

The scaling of content was absolutely horrid though, and thats why Morrowind gets my vote. I *loved* being able to strike out and find places that were "too hard" for me, or find godly equipment deep in dungeons. Oblivion's system made it so there was extremely little unique equipment, and there were only really a couple dungeons that were all alike (because they scaled with you). Having 900 hand-made places to explore isn't much fun if they all contain the exact same stuff.

Morrowind definitely had a less linear approach, but thats a mark in its favor, IMO. Morrowind felt more like a breathing world that just happened to contain a main quest that you could do (I didn't finish it for years), whereas Oblivion feels a lot more centered around you and your objectives.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The whole "scaling" thing was another factor making me deeply skittish about Oblivion. There are mods out now that "correct" this behavior, or so I understand.

I thought Morrowind was too unfocused, and a little too large as well. If Oblivion at least addresses the focus issue, I think that's a point in its favor.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I think it is really quite arbitrary whether a person says Morrowind is too unfocused or Oblivion is too focused. For my part, I thought Morrowind was quite immersive and there was a lot you could do (many many side-quests). I did like the graphics in Oblivion and Oblivion seemed a bit more stable, since Morrowind had a nasty tendency to crash if you breathed to hard towards your computer. I think if I had it my way, they would remake Morrowind with the Oblivion engine (best of both worlds).

If i had to choose between the two, I'd say Morrowind is a better game overall, but it does need a bit of tweaking to make it have a really stellar experience. Make no mistake about it, both games require downloading some sort of mod or enhancement to make them really shine (you gotta love the community), but Oblivion requires less.

I say what you should do is to buy both games, since Morrowind is SO CHEAP now, and see which one you like better.

-Zorak

G

I voted Morrowind.

Oblivion felt like it held your hand througout the game. Everthing was to easy. There was no sense of exploration as the compass pointed where you had to go and fast travel just killed it even more. Plot line was worse along with sidequests, (Accept for arena and assassins guild). Much better landscape in morrowimd aswell.
Only thing oblivion had going for it was graphics and combat.

Overall Morrowind was much more entralling and a alround better game.

TheMorrowindMan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Morrowind is a much better game, cause when i play morrowind, i have to get much more in depth, and its not the kind of game that you can just lightly play to pass the time. -To me. The music, story, weapons, everything was better in morrowind.

schitzoflink

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I love both so I voted for both

Morrowind has the more awsome setting and as with many other posters it just feels different, I played this game for about 3 years

Oblivion has a bunch of faults (which can be fix with mods) and has a fairly lackluster setting, but all in all if they were both released at the same time I would just find a mod that combined them and play both! I've been playing OB for about 2 years now and I'm starting to get into modding.

SlapHappyJesus

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I felt that Oblivion was a real dissapointment. Morrowind to this day is one of my favorite games of all time, which I still play constantly. When I heard Oblivion was coming out I couldn't be happier. when I actually got to play the game I was less then impressed. Gone was the cool, atmospheric game world that Morrowind had. It was replaced by trees....lots and lots of trees. Nothing about the game world really stood out. It felt plain and generic. I also hate that they took out many of the weapons and armor, as well as messed with skills, and set a leveling system to enemies and some armor. Also, despite what a lot of people consider an improvement from Morrowind's gameplay, I hate that my skills with weopons doesn't effect my hit miss ratio. I'm sorry, but they made Oblivion much too accessible to reach a broader audience, even though Morrowind was veeery successful.

David the Gnome

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Oblivion was everything that Morrowind was supposed to be, much like Morrowind was everything Daggerfall was supposed to be. Oblivion is going to be one of those games that people will still be playing decades from now. It's amazing how well that game has aged. It still looks amazing even when compared to today's top of the line games.

f1n15h3d

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I like Morrowind alot better. It's probably because I have Morrowind on the PC and Oblivion on the PS3 and I like to mod my games but I cant with my PS3. I also think the story is better in morrwind and I like the armour and weapons more.

Status
Not open for further replies.