[SOLVED] Most effective/speedy way to transfer files from internal HDD to external Seagate 2tb via Linux USB boot and Win10?

Nov 2, 2019
Hi all,

First, I want to say thanks for taking the time to read this and thank you all in advance!

I have an Acer Laptop running Win 10 64bit. I've been having issues with this laptop for a while now. The on-running issue is that Windows fails to load b/c of an error with the ETD.sys file.
  • I've done 90% of the solutions online and sometimes it will solve the boot issue for a couple of days but then I'll run into the same problem again.
  • I've done a Windows fix via the Windows Media tool. Still will run into the same issues after said successful repair/reinstallation.
My next solution is to transfer the files to an external HDD and wipe out/reinstall Win10 in Laptop.

I'm doing this by booting Linux Ubuntu off a FlashDrive and having an external HDD connected to the laptop.

I tried to transfer files by using the drag and drop method but it says that it will take up to 9hrs to transfer 50gb. I mean, I've built resilience over the 56k era .... but come on! We in 2019

My questions are:
  • Is this normal/avg for a transfer?
  • What are other methods that I can use for a speedy file transfer? ( the Seagate transfer wizard did not load in Linux)
I do believe the USB port is running 2.0 and not 3.0.

Thanks again!

Solution
  1. The time estimate in Windows can be wildly inaccurate
  2. If there are a lot of tiny files, it will be slow
  3. If the physical drive is failing, it will be even slower.
  4. Start it and let it run.
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks for the input! USAFRet

giphy.gif

TRENDING THREADS