[SOLVED] Most efficient fan setup?

Aug 14, 2019
I have a Phanteks Eclipse P350x and I was wondering what the most efficient 5-fan setup would be?

I was thinking 2 140mm intake fans at the front and 2 120mm exhaust at the top and 1 120mm exhaust on the rear, but I am uneducated on efficient cooling and would like some more input.

Also, if there are any recommendations on types of fans, that'd be great too, I was just going to go with the one's Phanteks has but if there are better options I'm open to suggestions.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
See, not me. I'd still put 2x fans up top/rear as exhaust. The top of that case is a giant grill so even the meager draw from that single 120mm exhaust will be pulling air from the top in.

Air does have weight, a considerable amount actually. About 14.7 lbs/Sq in. If the intake fans cannot match or beat that downward push through the grill, that rear exhaust will be pulling fresh air from the top. Adding at least the top rear fan will prevent most of that, the additional vacuum created by the exhausts will be filled by case intake, not top grill.

If the P350x had a solid top/removable baffles etc that would be entirely different as that single exhaust would be forced to pull air from the case, it having no other real source.
Nice case.
I read that it comes with one 120mm fan.
I would install that fan in the rear as exhaust.
Use two 140mm front intakes which will supply enough fresh air for even a hot graphics card and processor.
Whatever air comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
The purpose of the rear 120m fan is to direct that airflow to the back and out of the case.

As a plus, if the two 140mm intakes are filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
Adding more exhaust fans will tend to draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.

Aug 14, 2019
Nice case.
I read that it comes with one 120mm fan.
I would install that fan in the rear as exhaust.
Use two 140mm front intakes which will supply enough fresh air for even a hot graphics card and processor.
Whatever air comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
The purpose of the rear 120m fan is to direct that airflow to the back and out of the case.

As a plus, if the two 140mm intakes are filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
Adding more exhaust fans will tend to draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.
So you are suggesting that I just use 3 fans? Like the 2 140mm intakes at the front and the 1 120mm exhaust?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
See, not me. I'd still put 2x fans up top/rear as exhaust. The top of that case is a giant grill so even the meager draw from that single 120mm exhaust will be pulling air from the top in.

Air does have weight, a considerable amount actually. About 14.7 lbs/Sq in. If the intake fans cannot match or beat that downward push through the grill, that rear exhaust will be pulling fresh air from the top. Adding at least the top rear fan will prevent most of that, the additional vacuum created by the exhausts will be filled by case intake, not top grill.

If the P350x had a solid top/removable baffles etc that would be entirely different as that single exhaust would be forced to pull air from the case, it having no other real source.

Solution