[SOLVED] Most Games Crashing on Startup

Nov 6, 2021
Recently built PC, specs are below:
Everything runs and boots up correctly, windows and drivers are up to date, and nothing is overheating from what I have diagnosed. However, many games, although some will boot and start, crash and I get a black screen and the PC resets (The entire PC does not power down it just like reboots). I am at a lose as to where to go from here. I thought the issue was originally Ram as the crashes were at different points and a few other reasons, regardless I got replacement ram and am still having the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 6-core Processor with Stock cooler 3.7GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Challenger (8GB memory, PCIe 4.0 supported)
Memory: Teamgroup T-Force Delta 16GB 3600MHz DDR4 (Two 8GB sticks in duel channel)
MOBO: ASROCK B550 Steel Legend
Storage: Crucial M.2 NVme 1TB SSD
PSU: MSI MPG Series A650GF (650Watt 80+ Gold Certified)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A (comes with 3 stock RGB fans, bought one additional for build)
Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit
Anti-Virus: ESET Security
Bios Version: P1.20

Solution
In general, it took AMD 4-6 months from launches to sort out their Ryzen platforms' most severe teething issues like RAM compatibility and stability. If your BIOS is that old, random problems are normal. If you haven't updated BIOS to latest, you may want to start there. The 500-series had some USB3 drop-out/lock-up issues and those were only confirmed to be fixed earlier this year.

Once that is done, try running memtest86(+) for several hours (the PassMark version goes only to four passes in the free version) and if nothing comes up there, then everything memory-related is most likely fine.

I've gotten back 4 blood to run but then there have been times were it wouldn't reach the start screen (maybe because I had another game...

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that you can associate with the crashes, black screens, and resets.

Also: "many games". What games do not crash and what games do crash?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Good chance that, with a new build, that some connection appears to be in place but is not. No one wants to force a connection so what seems to be properly connected is not.

Nov 6, 2021
How old is the PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that you can associate with the crashes, black screens, and resets.

Also: "many games". What games do not crash and what games do crash?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Good chance that, with a new build, that some connection appears to be in place but is not. No one wants to force a connection so what seems to be properly connected is not.
The PSU is brand new, literally got the build running over the last week. I will look into event viewer as I have not done that yet. I've gone through the connections several times, but I will again. I have not been able to get warzone to run at all. I've gotten back 4 blood to run but then there have been times were it wouldn't reach the start screen (maybe because I had another game downloading that time?), and minecraft runs perfectly fine which I expected...

InvalidError

Titan
In general, it took AMD 4-6 months from launches to sort out their Ryzen platforms' most severe teething issues like RAM compatibility and stability. If your BIOS is that old, random problems are normal. If you haven't updated BIOS to latest, you may want to start there. The 500-series had some USB3 drop-out/lock-up issues and those were only confirmed to be fixed earlier this year.

Once that is done, try running memtest86(+) for several hours (the PassMark version goes only to four passes in the free version) and if nothing comes up there, then everything memory-related is most likely fine.

I've gotten back 4 blood to run but then there have been times were it wouldn't reach the start screen (maybe because I had another game downloading that time?), and minecraft runs perfectly fine which I expected...
I routinely have 20+ things open in the background while playing games and that hasn't really ever caused problems for me even on my lowly i5-3470 (upgraded to 11400 this year) and GTX1050, it shouldn't be an issue for your system if everything is working as it should.

Solution
Nov 6, 2021

I routinely have 20+ things open in the background while playing games and that hasn't really ever caused problems for me even on my lowly i5-3470 (upgraded to 11400 this year) and GTX1050, it shouldn't be an issue for your system if everything is working as it should.
So the newest Bios update solved the issue thankfully. However, whenever I'm in bios I get an Ab debug code, it goes away when I boot to the desktop. I'm just wondering why that would be...