[SOLVED] Most important component for video game recording/streaming?

TheQuestionGuy

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Searching for recommended PC builds via PCPartPicker (https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/) and it shows builds listed as "Excellent Intel Gaming/Streaming Build"and others like it but the parts listed are lower performing parts than what I currently have. For example, the one build lists the i5 processor and I am using the i7 and when streaming/recording minecraft the performance is terrible. The Minecraft settings have to be modified to be on the lower end in order to achieve a somewhat decide recording.

If one were to build a PC for gaming (like MInecraft) while steaming/recording what is the one component that handles the majority of the work?
Is it the graphics card or the CPU?

Solution
Answer is neither and both. You shouldn't neglect either of them and pick solid gpu and cpu together. One thing you can do is slightly stonger cpu if you are doing the hardware encoding or gpu if you use software encoding.
I don't know what build you have but example one you're looking at has:
  1. Overclocking in mind (unlocked cpu and z490 chipset on mb) so even though the cooler is a budget one cpu will easily go to smthing around 5.2ghz effortlestly.
  2. i7 doesn't automaticaly mean better than i5. Newer cpus are simply improved and more efficient, since that i5 is a 10th gen one means that specially in terms of discussed purpose it will do better than any previous generation cpu might. So unles you have a for example i7 10700k...

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Answer is neither and both. You shouldn't neglect either of them and pick solid gpu and cpu together. One thing you can do is slightly stonger cpu if you are doing the hardware encoding or gpu if you use software encoding.
I don't know what build you have but example one you're looking at has:
  1. Overclocking in mind (unlocked cpu and z490 chipset on mb) so even though the cooler is a budget one cpu will easily go to smthing around 5.2ghz effortlestly.
  2. i7 doesn't automaticaly mean better than i5. Newer cpus are simply improved and more efficient, since that i5 is a 10th gen one means that specially in terms of discussed purpose it will do better than any previous generation cpu might. So unles you have a for example i7 10700k there is a slim chance it would be better.

Solution