[SOLVED] Most modern CPU still supporting Windows 7?

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Hi Guys.

I am a never-10-er. Anyway, I am going to build a new PC in some time now and I was wondering what kind of CPU's I can get. I know that Intel sold out and made a cabal with Microsoft, that they would not support windows 7 on their new releases (for like 5 years now). I was saddened to see, that AMD has sold out too. The M$ bucks must be nice and fragrant.

Anyway, after the venting above, what kind of CPU could I still get for Windows 7? What is the best one essentially (or one of the best. I would like to keep it under 250 Pounds/300$'s).

Bonus question, is the Ryzen 5 3600 Linux friendly? It would be like a last resort.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi Guys.

I am a never-10-er. Anyway, I am going to build a new PC in some time now and I was wondering what kind of CPU's I can get. I know that Intel sold out and made a cabal with Microsoft, that they would not support windows 7 on their new releases (for like 5 years now). I was saddened to see, that AMD has sold out too. The M$ bucks must be nice and fragrant.

Anyway, after the venting above, what kind of CPU could I still get for Windows 7? What is the best one essentially (or one of the best. I would like to keep it under 250 Pounds/300$'s).

Bonus question, is the Ryzen 5 3600 Linux friendly? It would be like a last resort.

Cheers.

Then you may as well stop using a PC, or go to Linux, because 10 isn't going...
Hi Guys.

Cheers.
Why the hate for windows 10? You can even use it for free.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have a ryzen 7 3700x running win 7. you can use it with any new hardware you want. it just takes a bit of work to get it all going. i've installed it with both new intel and amd cpu's. no issues either way.

once you know the cpu, you need to be sure the mobo has win 7 drivers and the software you want to use also supports it. there is a lot of stuff slowly dropping win 7 totally. i went with a GB b450 aorus pro myself. it easily supports win 7. but there are many more that do as well include newer b550 boards and x570 ones.

Reactions: EvilHamster
Mar 17, 2020
Hi Guys.

Cheers.

Well, make sure you get Intel or ryzen which is below 7th gen. Windows 7 and 8 updates have a kill switch which don't allow updates. Besides, if you don't like Win 10 there are apps that change the interface to Windows 7-ish to get that aqua feel.
But i agree that Microsoft's forceful push to make everyone use Win 10 is just in-appropriate.

Mar 17, 2020
i have a ryzen 7 3700x running win 7. you can use it with any new hardware you want. it just takes a bit of work to get it all going. i've installed it with both new intel and amd cpu's. no issues either way.

once you know the cpu, you need to be sure the mobo has win 7 drivers and the software you want to use also supports it. there is a lot of stuff slowly dropping win 7 totally. i went with a GB b450 aorus pro myself. it easily supports win 7. but there are many more that do as well include newer b550 boards and x570 ones.
Yo, I got da same cpu! Didn't you get the unsupported hardware alert thing? God I installed Win 7 and had to use a win update patcher

logainofhades

Titan
Hi Guys.

Cheers.

Then you may as well stop using a PC, or go to Linux, because 10 isn't going anywhere. There was no selling out. It takes a lot of work to support so much hardware, for the OS. Why would anyone want to continue adding hardware support, for an OS, that they are not selling anymore? It's time to drop the tin foil hat, and move on already.

Solution

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks all,

nice to see such a lot of replays. Thanks for the tip about being careful with newest mobos on Linux. I will consider it. I will generally ask on a Linux site, if my build is recomended etc. but I just wanted to get the gernal layout of the situation, what CPUs might work without too much hassle on Windows 7.

I currently have a Kaby Lake CPU Laptop and I managed to install Windows 7 on it. But despoite it having an i5 7200U and a gtx 950m, I can not even watch videos in 4k. (The laptop only has 1080p, but if I connect it to a TV, the picture, when I watch a movie is unwatachbly choppy. This is also the case if the movie is only 360p itself. Even upscale makes it unuable. That is why I think it is a driver/intel+Microsoft playing unfair, why this happens). So just getting it to work is not enough. I want it to work as intended :)

Finally, my dislike of windows 10 is not about the UI, it is about the fact that it is a spyware, that it has ads (------), it installs updates without my permission, it has the horrid cortana and the fact that they use underhanded tactics to get me to swith...

Just no. But thank you for the helpful advices. I do mean it.

Cheers all.

P.S., yes, it is selling out. Intel made that deal with M$ when Windows 7 was still the MOST POPULAR version. To date, there are still 20% of all Windows users using windows 7. That is hundreds of millions. People push out drivers for a fraction of that.

Mod edit: Profanity removed

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd better swap to Linux ASAP then. Because you are literally trading Spyware for Security when it comes to windows 7 and windows 10.

For you run a good Linux distro, then run windows 7 in a virtual machine for apps that need to run in a windows OS (or just run wine). That's really the best solution for you.

but for windows 7 machines I really cannot recommend anything brand new today, something like a Broadwell-e 6950X would be most optimal. But they are very expensive.

I'm glad math geek said there are ways to make windows 7 work decently with new hardware (i had no idea). But it's still not optimal.

Reactions: EvilHamster

logainofhades

Titan
You can turn off all the tracking stuff, during the install of Win 10. I removed all the live tiles, from the start menu, except Weather, and office, so not seeing any ads either. I don't use Cortana either. Frankly, you should just stop using the internet all together. Browsers collect data, your ISP tracks data, social media tracks it. Browsing habits, location, ect are all trackable. You are not escaping the fact that there is information being collected any time you connect to the net.

USAFRet

Titan
The semi-forced Win 10 updates are a reaction to the last 20 years of user selectable updates.

Previously, user could turn off update patches. And many did. Knowingly or unwittingly or operating on false information.
"My neighbors son's cousin Jimmy, is really good with compouters, and he disabled it for me!"

Resulting in massive botnets.
The WannaCry virus of a few years ago almost totally landed on unpatched systems. MS published a patch for that 2 months before it went public.
Only the unpatched were vulnerable.

But MS was widely reviled over the years for stuff like that. "Fix the OS!!" (they did)

Enter Win 10...
"OK, now you get those patches whether you like it or not."

And again, MS is widely reviled for that.

Can't have it both ways.

Now...the common rebuttal to that is "I know what I'm doing, so I should have total control."
Well...if you have 'total control', so does little Jimmy mentioned above.

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
P.S., yes, it is selling out. Intel made that deal with M$ when Windows 7 was still the MOST POPULAR version. To date, there are still 20% of all Windows users using windows 7. That is hundreds of millions. People push out drivers for a fraction of that.

Something that didn't happen, for $500, Alex. Intel doesn't care what software you use, with their CPU's. Microsoft has to add in support/optimizations, for new hardware, via updates. Why would they want to do that, for an OS that they no longer officially support? It's not some pie in the sky conspiracy, that you are trying to make it out to be.