[SOLVED] Most powerful AGP GPU for retro PC

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Trying to find out what the most powerful, (ahem), AGP GPU would be for my Dell Dimension 4100. Has a whopping 512mb of.... hold onto your hats.... PC 133 ram! Anyway I really enjoy working with older tech, and could not find an answer anywhere else so should have just started here to begin with. Currently has an MX 400 64mb card......yeah, I know.....but it's just plain good stuff!!! Thanks!!!!

Wolfshadw

Titan
If that system has the original spec Pentium III 933Mhz processor, I probably wouldn't consider anything more than an ATI Radeon 9600.

-Wolf sends

Edit - I'd also check the power supply in that system to make sure it has any necessary aux power cables for the higher end graphic cards that require extra power.

Last edited:
Reactions: silversmithy

Wolfshadw

Titan
If that system has the original spec Pentium III 933Mhz processor, I probably wouldn't consider anything more than an ATI Radeon 9600.

-Wolf sends

Edit - I'd also check the power supply in that system to make sure it has any necessary aux power cables for the higher end graphic cards that require extra power.

Last edited:
Reactions: silversmithy

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Okay, thanks everybody. I realize I will have to upgrade the PSU as it is the original 200 watt. Also it is the original Pentium III. I had my eye on an HIS IceQ x1650 pro 512mb, but looks like that may not work?

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Got it. So I forgot that I have another old PC with an A9250 128mb card in it. I was going to just swap into the 4100 but cannot find anywhere exact PSU requirements. It is fanless anyway. I figure it is a little better than the mx400 64mb card that is currently in there. I think it's going to be pretty hard to find a PSU that will fit in the 4100 and have all molex connections.

ASK THE COMMUNITY