Question Most reliable PSU for ryzen 3 3300x +1650 super

elyagi13281

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
Hi all,

It's been a while since my last build but I'm finally getting to put together a new Ryzen gaming/photo/ light video editing build after several years on a G4560 with integrated graphics. The games I would be playing are some modern AAA titles but for the most part Dota2, CSGO and some older games. I do plan on learning on getting into some slight overclocking but nothing extreme or enthusiast level, just for the learning experience and the fun of squeezing just that little bit of performance. Not like seeing how far I can push the machine. For those reasons and basic pc building rules obviously, I understand I need a good quality PSU. I've used my Seasonic S12ii 520w (sold it already) without any problems on my i5-6500/gtx 1060 gb gaming pc a few years back before I sold everything off when I quit temporarily.

Build would be:
CPU: Ryzen 3 3300x
RAM: 8gbx2 3000Mhz Adata Spectrix XPG D60 RAM
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Steel Legend
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 256GB + WD BLUE 1tb
GPU: Gigabyte 1650 Super 4GB
PSU: Corsair CX550M/Seasonic S12ii 520W

I can't decide if I should go with the new Corsair CX black/gray series since I've been reading good stuff about them. I'm in PH and Corsair costs a bit more than the trusty Seasonic S12ii I'm familiar with and I read it's no longer a good PSU now due to "group regulation". I was surprised reading that coz this was like a really good PSU in 2017 and somehow it's "Tier D" now and not really sure if an average user like me should be worried about that.

I'm open to alternatives and understand that I shouldn't skimp on a psu but I really wouldn't wanna go over the price range of the 2 PSU's I mentioned.

Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated!

elyagi13281

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
Corsair Tx/RMx/HXi are decent and so are Seasonic Focus Gold plus. Have a look at pcpartpicker and filter PSUs for Gold, Platinum and Titanium. Titanium being the best but are expensive. Gold is fine however.

Thanks for the suggestions. Most of those though are a bit out of my budget from where I'm at but I did see the Seasonic Core GC 650 watt 80+ Gold. Would that be a good one?

Jul 14, 2020
You've probably already built your pc by now, but I'd make sure your mobo is bios flashed for ryzen 3000 since I've heard the steel legend isn't out of of the box. Also if it were my build, I'd probably use ram at least 3200mhz or maybe 3600mhz because right now there really isn't a price difference.