Question Most stable Nvidia driver for a G710 card ?

GMHague

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
Hi everyone, thanks for any help. I'm suffering performance issue in my DAW software definitely and in my PC in general ... freezing, stuttering, lagging in actions. I'm not seeing any spikes in CPU or RAM reports, but at worst the System Interrupts can be 80-90%. I realise this suggests a serious hardware failure somewhere, but I can't track it down. The gurus on the Presonus Studio One forums suggest that Nvidia drivers have been problematic recently, and while I have updated a month or so ago, it was in response to these problems starting to manifest.
Can someone please recommend a rock-solid driver version I can roll back to, if for no other reason than to eliminate the video driver as a potential culprit.
Or any process to take the video card/driver out of the equation.
We're talking Windows 10, 64 bit, Intel i7 four-core CPU, 16 GB Ram, G710 card, SSD C Drive and SSD extra drive for audio/samples.

Cheers, GH.

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you mean a GT 710?

The quickest way to get the video card out of the equation is to completely get it out of the equation. If you have some old i7 with four cores -- you unfortunately didn't provide full information about your PC -- you could simply remove the GPU and test it on the integrated graphics.

It's unlikely to be a recent driver. A GT 710 -- if that's what you have -- had driver support other than security end two years ago along with the rest of the Kepler GPUs. It's a very old GPU.

GMHague

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
Do you mean a GT 710?

The quickest way to get the video card out of the equation is to completely get it out of the equation. If you have some old i7 with four cores -- you unfortunately didn't provide full information about your PC -- you could simply remove the GPU and test it on the integrated graphics.

It's unlikely to be a recent driver. A GT 710 -- if that's what you have -- had driver support other than security end two years ago along with the rest of the Kepler GPUs. It's a very old GPU.
Yes, that was my other option -- and now my best one. I bought the machine as a rebuild and didn't know the card was that old. Sounds like I need to reconfigure it anyway. Thanks!

GMHague

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
@GMHague

what are you trying to do when the "freezing" "stuttering" happens? Are you gaming, or playing a video? The GT 710 is a very weak gpu, so it will tend to lag even in simple ps4 games.

try getting a driver for the 710 from the official Nvidia website.

Just DAW work, no gaming, and I don't do Video in the DAW music, so it's not really taxed at all. But as someone else pointed out, it's a very old card and not really supported (I didn't know) so I think I'll get something to replace it anyway if the Mob option doesn't work. Thanks!

May 24, 2023
I suggest getting at least a GT 1030, it's cheap, and several times stronger than a 710. Another reason for getting a GT 1030 is has a good chance of working well in an old 4 core cpu pc like yours.

comparison

GT 1030 GDDR5 vs GT 710

_____

have here at home a GT 1030 GDDR5, and it works even on my lga 775 pc.
I wouldn't use Userbenchmark as a reliable source, since they have a insanely huge and visible bias for Intel and Nvidia against AMD, especially in terms of performance and reviews, but, yes, the GT 1030 is insanely better than the GT 710, no doubt.

GMHague

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
Thanks again. Today is the day I pull out the GT710 and clean out the drivers, and see if the gremlins go away. I live in a small country town and try to support the local IT shop ... I'll see if he's got or can get a GT1030. Makes me curious what I had in my retired PC.

Which 4-core i7? For example the HD Graphics 4600 IGP in 4th gen (Haswell) is every bit as fast as a GT710, not that a DAW needs a fast graphics card anyway.

If the IGP meets all of your needs and solves the problem, then I'd leave well enough alone and skip the discrete card completely.
If that doesn't solve the problem then I'd probably put the GT710 back in, as even if no faster at least it doesn't take memory bandwidth from the CPU.
FWIW, the latest drivers for Kepler are 474.30 from March as nVidia have continued supplying security updates even though the underlying driver itself hasn't changed in two years.
452.06 was the last to not suffer from stuttery videos in Chrome (incl Youtube), a problem which just mysteriously disappeared from the release notes after 472.12 yet never showed up under "Fixed Issues," perhaps because they knew by 2021 they were never going to fix it for Kepler

I've seen a SSD cause stuttering from errors, and the fix was a new SATA cable and deleting the drive from device manager to clear the degraded access mode. The SSD itself had no problems.