"Most Unstable & Unplayable MMORPG of 2005"

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

poor bastards. Never realized they had it that bad in WoW; none of my
friends who play it have talked about problems of this scale.. then again:
considering the amount of players WoW has, this thread doesn't even
represent a 'marginal opinion'; maybe it's just a bunch of whiners who whine
just for the 'fun' of it :p

also: if the game has that big issues, i REALLY hope it doesn't result in a
mass migration over to EQ2. from what i've heard, since going live, WoW has
attracted tons of immature gamers whose sole purpose is to make it miserable
for others.. EQ2 doesn't have too many of those (as of yet..).

-pete

"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3e397d54.0503100342.68c3d992@posting.google.com...

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:40:42 GMT, "pete" <pete@pete.pe> wrote:

>poor bastards. Never realized they had it that bad in WoW; none of my
>friends who play it have talked about problems of this scale

That's because not everyone has these problems. Some servers seem to be
extremely fragile, while others are fine. My server (Perenolde) has no queues
and is very stable, aside from some lag spikes and the usual high latency in
Ironforge (where the Alliance auction house is located). However, there are a
group of servers that seem to have far more than their fair share of problems.

Everyone was willing to give Blizzard some time to sort out their birthing
problems but that grace period has just about expired. A lot of people are
getting fed up, and justifiably so.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:40:42 GMT, "pete" <pete@pete.pe> wrote:

>poor bastards. Never realized they had it that bad in WoW; none of my
>friends who play it have talked about problems of this scale.. then again:
>considering the amount of players WoW has, this thread doesn't even
>represent a 'marginal opinion'; maybe it's just a bunch of whiners who whine
>just for the 'fun' of it :p

That's about the size of it. MOST of the servers don't experience the
frequent crashing. Only the handful that huge numbers decided to cram
onto who now refuse to play on other servers when traffic on those
servers get so high that it causes the server to crash. Server
transfers will probably help but, really, people need to quit being
stubborn and be willing to roll alts on other servers in the meantime.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:40:42 GMT, "pete" <pete@pete.pe> wrote:
>
>>poor bastards. Never realized they had it that bad in WoW; none of my
>>friends who play it have talked about problems of this scale.. then again:
>>considering the amount of players WoW has, this thread doesn't even
>>represent a 'marginal opinion'; maybe it's just a bunch of whiners who
>>whine
>>just for the 'fun' of it :p
>
> That's about the size of it. MOST of the servers don't experience the
> frequent crashing. Only the handful that huge numbers decided to cram
> onto who now refuse to play on other servers when traffic on those
> servers get so high that it causes the server to crash. Server
> transfers will probably help but, really, people need to quit being
> stubborn and be willing to roll alts on other servers in the meantime.

Exactly. One of the servers currently down is my main server, but that's
fine, I have alts on a few other servers and just switched to one of those
last night. WoW is fun, despite a few bugs still to be found, but it's also
still in its infancy. WoW is fun enough to play no matter what character or
server you're on. In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
that posted to that forum.

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Firian, 19th level Night Elf Hunter, Ner'zhul

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

> In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
> that posted to that forum.

20 Servers were down yesterday all day. Out of what, 80? If you call
that a minority I guess your right, but 25% is one heck of a minority
and clearly illustrates these clowns dont know how to run a stable
MMORPG. The fact that *everyone* I know has a "backup" server or two
or three really speaks volumes. And youll note that 100% of the people
in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately. Yet
nobody posted in defense of Blizzard. That's the situation, and its
getting worse daily as more and more people wake up decide enough is
enough.

"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
>> that posted to that forum.
>
> 20 Servers were down yesterday all day. Out of what, 80? If you call
> that a minority I guess your right, but 25% is one heck of a minority
> and clearly illustrates these clowns dont know how to run a stable
> MMORPG. The fact that *everyone* I know has a "backup" server or two
> or three really speaks volumes. And youll note that 100% of the people
> in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately. Yet
> nobody posted in defense of Blizzard. That's the situation, and its
> getting worse daily as more and more people wake up decide enough is
> enough.

And how many times have 100% of the EQ servers been down all day? I can
recall lots of times when I was playing EQ when I couldn't actually play
because all the servers were down, including backup ones. Blizzard is no
worse than SOE when it comes to uptime, and actually, typically better, at
least in my experience. YMMV. *shrug*

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Firian, 19th level Night Elf Hunter, Ner'zhul
Cheynne, 17th level Human Warrior, Ner'zhul
Widdershins, 22nd level Orc Hunter, Hellscream
Bovinis, 12th level Tauren Hunter, Bleeding Hollow
Cheynne, 14th level Tauren Shaman, Gorefiend
Putrescence, 10th level Undead Priest, Scarlet Crusade

On 10 Mar 2005 03:42:55 -0800 in
<3e397d54.0503100342.68c3d992@posting.google.com>,
spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) graced the world with this thought:

>http://tinyurl.com/62pb

I'm curious why you're telling this that, and the lack of saying the
subject line is apparently just something you pulled out of your ass.

On 10 Mar 2005 14:04:12 -0800, spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote:

>> In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
>> that posted to that forum.
>
>20 Servers were down yesterday all day.

Bullshit. Some went down during the evening, but 20 servers were -NOT-
down -ALL DAY-.

--

> http://tinyurl.com/62pbv

Haha some newbies to MMORPG moaning about downtime of servers? Heh..they
gotta lot to learn.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <4230c784$1@nntp.usm.edu>, G.Booth@usm.edu says...
> "Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
> >> that posted to that forum.
> >
> > 20 Servers were down yesterday all day. Out of what, 80? If you call
> > that a minority I guess your right, but 25% is one heck of a minority
> > and clearly illustrates these clowns dont know how to run a stable
> > MMORPG. The fact that *everyone* I know has a "backup" server or two
> > or three really speaks volumes. And youll note that 100% of the people
> > in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately. Yet
> > nobody posted in defense of Blizzard. That's the situation, and its
> > getting worse daily as more and more people wake up decide enough is
> > enough.
>
> And how many times have 100% of the EQ servers been down all day? I can
> recall lots of times when I was playing EQ when I couldn't actually play
> because all the servers were down, including backup ones. Blizzard is no
> worse than SOE when it comes to uptime, and actually, typically better, at
> least in my experience. YMMV. *shrug*

Plus between that MASSIVE load, and the high number of scriptkiddies
deliberately TRYING to crash the servers to dupe items or to grief or to
get off... whatever reason these asshats have... Blizzard has a much
bigger challenge than SOE ever did.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <3e397d54.0503101404.4b555be@posting.google.com>,
spliffeh@hotmail.com says...
> > In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
> > that posted to that forum.
>
> 20 Servers were down yesterday all day. Out of what, 80? If you call
> that a minority I guess your right, but 25% is one heck of a minority
> and clearly illustrates these clowns dont know how to run a stable
> MMORPG.

Clear as mud.

> The fact that *everyone* I know has a "backup" server or two
> or three really speaks volumes.

Volumes? It simply indicates that WoW usually has -some- servers up, so
you can usually play -somewhere-.

EQ players haven't got backup players because when EQ goes down 95% of
the time ALL SERVERS are down (or they brought the login server down
making it impossible to reach any of the ones that are actually up)...

Does that speak volumes too?

> And youll note that 100% of the people
> in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately.
> Yet nobody posted in defense of Blizzard.

Misery loves company. And people who are happily playing probably don't
even read the forums, especially the whiners rants.

> That's the situation, and its
> getting worse daily as more and more people wake up decide enough is
> enough.

Odd, by all indications its actually been slowly and gradually
improving. But of course that doesn't work with your rant, so we'll
conveniently disregard it.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:32:21 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>> And youll note that 100% of the people
>> in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately.
>> Yet nobody posted in defense of Blizzard.
>
>Misery loves company. And people who are happily playing probably don't
>even read the forums, especially the whiners rants.

And, once again, anyone who thinks that the opinions expressed in a
game's own forums are a reflection of the overall feel of the all the
players is either naive or stupid. Forums are always HEAVILY skewed
toward the negative. If the views on forums indicated the overall
opinion of the players, not one single MMO out there would have lasted
through its first year.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:17:22 GMT in
<ms5Yd.1294$0a1.14@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com>
graced the world with this thought:

>"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://tinyurl.com/62pbv
>
>Haha some newbies to MMORPG moaning about downtime of servers? Heh..they
>gotta lot to learn.

to say the least. You're letting them off easy.

I didn't read all that far, but what struck me was the notable absence
of many posts in Blizzard's defense. Being a frequenter of several game
forums over the years, I found that a bit odd and possibly telling.

--
Rumble

On 11 Mar 2005 06:47:33 -0800, "Rumbledor" <rumbledor@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I didn't read all that far, but what struck me was the notable absence
>of many posts in Blizzard's defense. Being a frequenter of several game
>forums over the years, I found that a bit odd and possibly telling.

The thread in question probably got lost in the usual server down spam
fest, which would also explain why it only went for 4 pages.

--

"42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In article <4230c784$1@nntp.usm.edu>, G.Booth@usm.edu says...
>> "Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > 20 Servers were down yesterday all day. Out of what, 80? If you call
>> > that a minority I guess your right, but 25% is one heck of a minority
>> > and clearly illustrates these clowns dont know how to run a stable
>> > MMORPG. The fact that *everyone* I know has a "backup" server or two
>> > or three really speaks volumes. And youll note that 100% of the people
>> > in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately. Yet
>> > nobody posted in defense of Blizzard. That's the situation, and its
>> > getting worse daily as more and more people wake up decide enough is
>> > enough.
>>
>> And how many times have 100% of the EQ servers been down all day? I can
>> recall lots of times when I was playing EQ when I couldn't actually play
>> because all the servers were down, including backup ones. Blizzard is no
>> worse than SOE when it comes to uptime, and actually, typically better,
>> at
>> least in my experience. YMMV. *shrug*
>
> Plus between that MASSIVE load, and the high number of scriptkiddies
> deliberately TRYING to crash the servers to dupe items or to grief or to
> get off... whatever reason these asshats have... Blizzard has a much
> bigger challenge than SOE ever did.

Indeed. And anyone who's played EQ for any length of time should know that
having most servers up while others are having some problems is a rarity.
WoW doesn't have half the problems I've encountered while playing EQ, and
the ones it does have are easily dealt with simply because WoW is such a
great game. Patience is one thing I learned from playing EQ, and WoW hasn't
even come close to trying that patience that EQ built up so effectively...

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:35:21 -0800, Dark Tyger wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:32:21 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>> And youll note that 100% of the people
>>> in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately.
>>> Yet nobody posted in defense of Blizzard.
>>
>>Misery loves company. And people who are happily playing probably don't
>>even read the forums, especially the whiners rants.
>
> And, once again, anyone who thinks that the opinions expressed in a
> game's own forums are a reflection of the overall feel of the all the
> players is either naive or stupid. Forums are always HEAVILY skewed
> toward the negative. If the views on forums indicated the overall
> opinion of the players, not one single MMO out there would have lasted
> through its first year.

It's also worth mentioning that *four* pages of rants is a miniscule number
compared to sales and account numbers. But just like the "Moral Majority"
having the loudest bitch does *not* actually make them the "Majority".
--
RJB
3/11/2005 9:11:35 AM

I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix.
--Dan Quayle

On 10 Mar 2005 14:04:12 -0800, spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote:

>> In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
>> that posted to that forum.
>
>20 Servers were down yesterday all day. Out of what, 80? If you call
>that a minority I guess your right, but 25% is one heck of a minority
>and clearly illustrates these clowns dont know how to run a stable
>MMORPG. The fact that *everyone* I know has a "backup" server or two
>or three really speaks volumes. And youll note that 100% of the people
>in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately. Yet
>nobody posted in defense of Blizzard. That's the situation, and its
>getting worse daily as more and more people wake up decide enough is
>enough.

It's nothing that other MMORPG players haven't been through, many,
many times. Sometimes I have had to write off EQ for the best part of
two days due to multi-patches, Anarchy Online had disastrous troubles
in their early days, and I'm sure all other MMORPGs have fared as
badly at times. Players just need to calm down, realise that not
everything works all the time, then walk the dog or clean out the
spare room.

Maybe play on a different server, even ;)

Palindrome

"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://tinyurl.com/62pbv

I think the problem is AT&T who are hosting it, specifically the network, as
a server is distributed across multiple computers.
Some servers have continual problems, some are fairly stable. Its the same
servers that have problems day after day.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:35:21 -0800, Dark Tyger
<darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:32:21 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>> And youll note that 100% of the people
>>> in that four page thread all agree on the situation, passionately.
>>> Yet nobody posted in defense of Blizzard.
>>
>>Misery loves company. And people who are happily playing probably don't
>>even read the forums, especially the whiners rants.
>
>And, once again, anyone who thinks that the opinions expressed in a
>game's own forums are a reflection of the overall feel of the all the
>players is either naive or stupid. Forums are always HEAVILY skewed
>toward the negative. If the views on forums indicated the overall
>opinion of the players, not one single MMO out there would have lasted
>through its first year.

Yes, that is very true. It's worth bearing in mind that the ranters
are usually just a vocal minority who love to congregate in order to
bitch more effectively to like-minded souls.

Palindrome

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:17:22 GMT, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:

>"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://tinyurl.com/62pbv
>
>Haha some newbies to MMORPG moaning about downtime of servers? Heh..they
>gotta lot to learn.

Aye - you'd think it was a totally new phenomenon :D

Palindrome

> On 10 Mar 2005 14:04:12 -0800, spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote:
>
>>> In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
>>> that posted to that forum.
>>
>>20 Servers were down yesterday all day.
>
> Bullshit. Some went down during the evening, but 20 servers were -NOT-
> down -ALL DAY-.

I think it was about 16 hours. a "minor network problem"

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:15:14 GMT, "Vladesch"
<vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote:

>"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message

>>>20 Servers were down yesterday all day.
>>
>> Bullshit. Some went down during the evening, but 20 servers were -NOT-
>> down -ALL DAY-.
>>

>I think it was about 16 hours. a "minor network problem"

But, like I said, they didn't go down until evening. Most of that
downtime was overnight. True, the crash occurred during prime time
hours, but to say they were down "all day" is hugely misleading.

A note, they are doing a 24 hour maintenance on the trouble servers,
and offering a *5 day* free time compensation for that. Of course,
some people are bitching that it's not enough. They seem confident
that they've found something that'll help the problems, though.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:27:04 -0800, Dark Tyger
<darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

>On 10 Mar 2005 14:04:12 -0800, spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote:
>
>>> In this case, it's definitely part of the vocal minority
>>> that posted to that forum.
>>
>>20 Servers were down yesterday all day.
>
>Bullshit. Some went down during the evening, but 20 servers were -NOT-
>down -ALL DAY-.

It's funny, this does sound reminiscent of EQ, especially the early
years (say, the first 3). I don't mean servers being down, I mean the
bitching about it. :)

As was true with the whinefest that used to be the EQ boards, there is
a grain of legitimacy to the complaints. People blow it out of
proportion because, hey, this is the internet, but there are issues
that need to be addressed. I believe Blizzard is doing everything
they can to fix it; if they can't fix it right, they'll lose business
(and only 1/10th the people who say they are quitting will actually do
so, if it holds true to the EQ model).

Of course, this won't stop the whiners and apologists from spending
more time flaming each other than playing the game, but again, such is
the internet. How did society get along without it?