Most Video Games Crash Immediately, Fullscreen/Resolution Issue?

Apr 5, 2018
When I start video games (almost everything I play is through Steam), many of them crash immediately with an error that just says "[Game] has encountered a problem and needs to close." This probably started a couple months ago. Some games I was able to run before but can no longer are Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls 3, Subnautica, Fallout 4, Skyrim, and more. Of the games that do run, often if I go into the settings in game, I am no longer able to see a list of resolutions to choose from, there is only one and it is sometimes not the correct resolution for my computer. Also sometimes the game says it is running in fullscreen when it is really in windowed mode and I'm unable to change those settings. All of the things I've mentioned happen across multiple different games and have been happening for a couple months. I've tried the usual things like validating files of the individual games, making sure they are selecting the nvidia graphics card, and updating the drivers of the nvidia card. Any suggestions?

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200H CPU @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
Storage: 106GB free of 888GB

Apr 5, 2018

I'll try that, thanks!