Question Mothearboard and Psu advice!

Fizy45

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014
Hi guys I have decided to get rid of my old PC and buy a new one and I am making my own resarch for days now. I am planing to use this PC for gaming and Streaming/Recording(Youtube) but I am unable to decide about the MOBA and the PSU so any advice on this matter would be great.

Parts I decided to buy so far.

İ9 9900K (İntel)
Geforce RTX 2080 OC 8GB GDDR6 256Bit (Asus)
16 GB Ram ( I prefer 4000 mhz but it can be less it all depends on the price later I am gonna upgrade this to 32gb)
1+0.5 TB SSD (its gonna come from my old rig which I am curretnly using)
Thermaltake Lquid Cooling ( its gonna come from my old rig which I am curretnly using)
Thermaltake or Cooler master PC Case ( I will select the case at the store for me accesibiltiy is the most important factor)

Parts I am not sure about

Motherboard
PSU

As you can see I am not sure about which PSU and motherboard to buy. I dont want to spend too much on MOBA but I am also afraid to buy something cheap and cause problems. Same thing applies to PSU as well I know how much watt is required but what about 3v 5v values etc those are very important to system stability too. So if you guys give me some advice it would be great...

Note: If you guys also give me some hints that would be great too I mean what should I look for when buying MOBA and PSU what important and what is not ?

You will want a Z390 based motherboard.
That will allow you to get the max out of your i9-9900K using the intel performance maximizer app.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html
As to which specific one, I can't help you.
Read the reviews. My sense is that the differences in functionality are minor.
If you do not need included wifi, sli, or rgb bling, do not pay more for those features.

On ram, the motherboard you pick will be the limiting factor for ram speed.
Intel real app performance or gaming is not much impacted by ram speed.
I think 3600 is about the sweet spot.
Faster ram comes with higher latency negating some of the speed advantage.
Divide the speed by the latency and most will come out in the 200-240 range.

Perhaps of more importance is the issue of upgrading later.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Adding ram later may have issues.

If you know you will want 32gb, then buy a 2 x 16gb kit up front.
Or, plan on selling the old 2 x 8gb kit and replacing with 2 x 16gb.

The power supply you need is mostly gated by your graphics card.
It is the 12v+ amps that are important to a psu. That is what the cpu and gpu use.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I might go for 750w.
I like the seasonic focus units with a 10 year warranty.

Reactions: vMax

Fizy45

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014
You will want a Z390 based motherboard.
That will allow you to get the max out of your i9-9900K using the intel performance maximizer app.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html
As to which specific one, I can't help you.
Read the reviews. My sense is that the differences in functionality are minor.
If you do not need included wifi, sli, or rgb bling, do not pay more for those features.

On ram, the motherboard you pick will be the limiting factor for ram speed.
Intel real app performance or gaming is not much impacted by ram speed.
I think 3600 is about the sweet spot.
Faster ram comes with higher latency negating some of the speed advantage.
Divide the speed by the latency and most will come out in the 200-240 range.

Perhaps of more importance is the issue of upgrading later.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Adding ram later may have issues.

If you know you will want 32gb, then buy a 2 x 16gb kit up front.
Or, plan on selling the old 2 x 8gb kit and replacing with 2 x 16gb.

The power supply you need is mostly gated by your graphics card.
It is the 12v+ amps that are important to a psu. That is what the cpu and gpu use.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I might go for 750w.
I like the seasonic focus units with a 10 year warranty.

First of al thank you for your long answer I read it over and over again and Iearned valuable things. But I hot some questions about PSU. You said 750 watt will be good but when I look at he link you gave me I saw that gtx 2080 requires 550. Surely I wont buy a 550 watt PSU but why you talk about 750 is there a reason for this ?

Thanks...

First of all, a psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
I have a few reasons for overprovisioning a psu.
  1. You may, in the future want an even stronger graphics card.
  2. A i9-9900K is a very demanding processor, likely needing more power than the assumed default in the chart. Particularly if overclocked.
  3. A psu will operate most efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
  4. A psu that loafs a bit will not need to spin up the cooling fan to noisy levels.
  5. There is not so much difference in cost between 650w and 750w.
650w is $97
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-gold-ssr-650fx-650w/p/N82E16817151186
750w is $120
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187