Mother board trouble shoot

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
How to make sure mobo is dead or not ?

Take out cpu(s), RAM and Video card and powerup, is mobo is alive then it will lit the leds and you will get some beeps.

If CPU is bad wont the mobo power up i mean wont it atleast lit the LED.

Will it work ? or am i doing worse ?

PS:Tested PSU its working fine but when powered up no action(no beeps, no sounds,no click sounds,no fan spinning).

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The best way to test would be to take it out of the case and disconnect everything leaving the CPU/HSF in and start it up and see if the fan on the HSF is working. If so, add your video card and connect the monitor and then one stick of memory a start the machine. If that works, put the board back into the case making sure you have the exact number of offsets, they are securely screwed into the board, then secure the mobo. Then test each piece of hardware. Simply because the mobo is getting power doesn't mean it isn't bad. What specific problem(s) are you having?

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Took it out from the case and disconnected every thing, it fired up, slowly added every thing no problem.

After that connected every thing back in and it fired up able to load the OS and happy browsing, but after OS shutdown its again the same its not getting powered up.

This is all i did putting it outside on a anti static wrap shipped with mobo.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you haven't done so, clear the CMOS, instructions will be in the mobo manual. Disconnect the hard drive and see if it powers up. When you say won't power up do you mean the computer won't start, e.g., no fans? If Windows is corrupt I can understand how why it wouldn't boot to Windows but have no idea why it would at least start up

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Did clear the CMOS by removing the battery, even after disconnecting every thing its not powering up.

Not powering up, i mean the CPU fans are not on and even the mobo LEDs are not on.

Mobo is out on anti static wrap and working on it.

Big puzzle to me is why this is happening after shutting down from OS.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Did clear the CMOS by removing the battery, even after disconnecting every thing its not powering up.

Not powering up, i mean the CPU fans are not on and even the mobo LEDs are not on.

Mobo is out on anti static wrap and working on it.

Big puzzle to me is why this is happening after shutting down from OS.

Definitely the Big Puzzle. I suggested that you disconnect the hard drive thinking that maybe it was going and having to handle programs put too much of a strain on it. The other possibility is the PSU again because its use running programs. Given Windows can shutdown the computer it's possible there is a corruption that is affecting the interface between Windows and the machine that let's it shut the machine down. Can you provide the computers specs? Wish some other people would jump in, this is an interesting problem and someone with more knowledge than me would help. When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows?

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Its first time installation and powering up the board.

Tyan tech says it could be PSU, anyways going to get a new PSU from friend so can test it.

Over the weekend i will try loading linux, "if" it powers up.

Some combination is not working.

Sys specs
Tyan 2927 2 x Opterons
2 GB RAM
250 GB SATA HDD (now)
PC P&C 610
GeForce 7300 GT

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
When you mount it in the case, are you using the Brass Standoff's to keep the motherboard from making contact with case. That could lead to board acting strange and shorting out.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
with they way that it was acting after you had it out of the case, it sounds like the PSU, or a short in the system somewhere. The PSU is the first area I would investigate.

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Thinking the same,it may be the PSU or some short on mobo, crazy thing is mobo is on anti static sheet which comes with.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Shorts aren't always with the case. All it takes is two slightly damaged components and then you have a mystery were the two won't work together, but they are fine with one or the other isn't present.

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
That makes sense and some thing to think about, but trying to figure out on a new mobo may void my warranty.

Will try to figure it out, other wise Arrrrma.

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I guess thats THE correct reasoning either DEAD BIOS or CORRUPTED BIOS.

BIOS was wrongly implementing the shutdown instruction from OS, used to be my guess.

EDIT: got the RMA and thanks a lottttt folks for the help.