Question Motherboard Add-ons/Connectors help

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Hi,

I was advised that my motherboard has a TPM connector so I can purchase a separate TPM module chip and fit it to the connector.

On your everyday average motherboard that retail buyers buy I'm curious to know what other add-ons or modules can you add to it at a later date apart from the usual components needed to get the pc up and running?

Also are these add-ons plug and play recognised in the BIOS/UEFI or require configuration?

Do laptop motherboards have built in TPM module? I ask because with laptop motherboards you cant add anything to them and are limited.

Hi,

I was advised that my motherboard has a TPM connector so I can purchase a separate TPM module chip and fit it to the connector.

On your everyday average motherboard that retail buyers buy I'm curious to know what other add-ons or modules can you add to it at a later date apart from the usual components needed to get the pc up and running?

Also are these add-ons plug and play recognised in the BIOS/UEFI or require configuration?

Do laptop motherboards have built in TPM module? I ask because with laptop motherboards you cant add anything to them and are limited.
Most modern MBs and laptops already have a TPM onboard and some have TPM connector/header for a custom one.
Some may also have some kind of M.2 or similar header for WiFi and/or BT module but do not come with one installed. If they are Plug&Play (most are) BIOS and OS should recognize it immediately.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
I bought the most popular Asus motherboard on Amazon and it only had a TPM connector with no TPM chip 😕

Isn't M.2 used for SSD drives? If so how do you connect Wifi/BT on there?

Internal Wifi/Bluetooth is not good because you get weak slower signal unless it has antennas attached to it correct?

So its just these 2 above, no other add-ons?

I bought the most popular Asus motherboard on Amazon and it only had a TPM connector with no TPM chip 😕

Isn't M.2 used for SSD drives? If so how do you connect Wifi/BT on there?

Internal Wifi/Bluetooth is not good because you get weak slower signal unless it has antennas attached to it correct?

So its just these 2 above, no other add-ons?
There are several modifications of M.2 socket but distinguished by notches so only proper type can be connected.
Which MB is that ?