[SOLVED] Motherboard advice for a new CPU. Pls, and thank you.

Feb 21, 2019
I'm looking to upgrade my CPU which is almost 9 years old now (i7-2600) I'm looking at an i5-9600k but I'd also need to upgrade my Motherboard to house that.. and then DDR4 RAM too (getting expensive, lmao)

I have a budget of £500 (£530 MAX) - (Roughly $650-$700 USD).

I've read mixed reviews about the motherboard I have my eyes on:

Upon doing more research, this motherboard has also caught my eye and have also read mixed reviews about it. I'm looking for more input on these two or other suggestions that will keep me in my budget.
(CPU and RAM together are around £345 so, I have £150 to play with, a little more if I feel it. ($450, $200))

Also, my rig doesn't have a DVD Drive, will this be an issue when installing a new motherboard, or will the motherboard download the necessary software when it's been installed and ran?

Cheers.

Solution
It does not matter.
Install your new parts and try to boot from your old windows C drive.
Assuming it boots, you can then install the drivers you downloaded to the usb stick from the motherboard
support link.
As a caution, do not select the "install all" option or you will also install trialware and other monitoring apps that you likely do not want.
Install drivers only.

Dave8671

Distinguished
This motherboard has some drivers for windows 10 18.09 supported only you never stated the OS you are using. I just built a system and I used the media creation tool to download and burn the win10 installation to DVD but you can also use a USB stick 8GB minimum. The cost is 119.00 for the home. If you are running win10 now check the build version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I would the CPU to
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117825
This will be a bit faster due to manufacture of the CPU.

And use the Gigabyte Z390 UD

Most motherboards have driver CD... But I would go to the website and download the latest drivers and put them on a USB or SD card your motherboard page is below

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-UD-rev-10#support-dl-driver

Since you do not have a DVD drive download them and install them. keep them on an USB stick

Feb 21, 2019
This motherboard has some drivers for windows 10 18.09 supported only you never stated the OS you are using. I just built a system and I used the media creation tool to download and burn the win10 installation to DVD but you can also use a USB stick 8GB minimum. The cost is 119.00 for the home. If you are running win10 now check the build version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I would the CPU to
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117825
This will be a bit faster due to manufacture of the CPU.

And use the Gigabyte Z390 UD

Most motherboards have driver CD... But I would go to the website and download the latest drivers and put them on a USB or SD card your motherboard page is below

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-UD-rev-10#support-dl-driver

Since you do not have a DVD drive download them and install them. keep them on an USB stick

I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The i5-9600K is an excellent upgrade.
The chief benefit over the similarly performing i5-8600K is that the 9600K has a soldered heat spreader.
It will run cooler and likely overclock better.

Really, any Z390 motherboard that otherwise suits you will be fine.
It is hard to sort out anecdotal complaints about motherboards. Parts DO occasionally fail.

To get some idea if there is a persistent problem,
Go to Newegg and find the candidates.
Filter on the reviews by verified buyers.
Then look at what percent of the reviews have zero or one eggs indicating some sort of a problem.
In particular, look at the reasons for a bad review. Some are not very valid, so exclude those.

If you do not have a dvd drive you can attach. prepare ahead and download the motherboard drivers to a usb stick.
Sometimes, the lan adapter needs a driver to be able to connect to the internet to download the driver(catch 22)

Windows 10 is pretty good about booting on a different motherboard.
If you can boot, you need only install the new motherboard drivers.
If not, a clean install of windows is done with a usb drive.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Read this from another post here on toms hardware

Seems some of us disagree

Feb 21, 2019
The i5-9600K is an excellent upgrade.
The chief benefit over the similarly performing i5-8600K is that the 9600K has a soldered heat spreader.
It will run cooler and likely overclock better.

Really, any Z390 motherboard that otherwise suits you will be fine.
It is hard to sort out anecdotal complaints about motherboards. Parts DO occasionally fail.

To get some idea if there is a persistent problem,
Go to Newegg and find the candidates.
Filter on the reviews by verified buyers.
Then look at what percent of the reviews have zero or one eggs indicating some sort of a problem.
In particular, look at the reasons for a bad review. Some are not very valid, so exclude those.

If you do not have a dvd drive you can attach. prepare ahead and download the motherboard drivers to a usb stick.
Sometimes, the lan adapter needs a driver to be able to connect to the internet to download the driver(catch 22)

Windows 10 is pretty good about booting on a different motherboard.
If you can boot, you need only install the new motherboard drivers.
If not, a clean install of windows is done with a usb drive.
Would I just leave the USB stick in my PC when I install the new Motherboard?

It does not matter.
Install your new parts and try to boot from your old windows C drive.
Assuming it boots, you can then install the drivers you downloaded to the usb stick from the motherboard
support link.
As a caution, do not select the "install all" option or you will also install trialware and other monitoring apps that you likely do not want.
Install drivers only.

Solution