Motherboard advice

african_leopard

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Hello

I am upgrading my gaming rig of 2007. I have bought an i5-2500K and it needs a home. My graphics card is an ATI RADEON 5750 - if that helps.

Requirements:

1. A bit of future proofing ie USB 3, PCIe 3, compatibility with Ivy bridge
2. I need a minimum of 4 USB ports on rear - prefer more
3. Need a USB header for USB ports on my case
4. Need onboard sound
5. May decide to do some OC in the future, so MB must be capable of this
6. Upgradable to 32 GB RAM [I will be starting with 8GB DDR3 - 1600]
7. Need at least one PCI slot - I have a wireless card
8. Would like an onboard connector for a 3.5" floppy drive [yeah - I am old fashioned - although I could just buy an external as I don't see modern boards with IDE] - not a high priority
9. PCIe 3 backwards compatible to 2

I will never crossfire/SLi - only ever use discrete graphic cards.

So...I was looking at a Z68 MB. One that caught my eye was

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

This board is crossfire/sli compatible - is there something similar just for discrete graphic cards? I also read some comments saying that a few boards were DOA and had problems with memory slots...

The other board which Tom's recommended was the Gigabyte board - but it doesn't have the PCIe 3... And not the latest BIOS type...

www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512

I am open to P67 boards if those are better.

My budget is about CAD$150.

Are there any other recommendations?

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
You may like this mobo better: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265. If you do not need to do video transcoding or wish to cache from a SSD it serves all your needs and is a solid choice. Sorry if it is a little over your budget.

african_leopard

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Thanks for the responses.

@Chesteracorgi - that is out of my price range. Awesome board though :)

@DXRick - I will be purchasing a new GPU next year, so I want to future proof the MB as far as possible. I don't want to buy another MB to support the new GPU. If there is a cheaper board that matches my needs, which do you suggest?

Thanks