Motherboard and amd card compatibility

warmachineandrew

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
Right now I have an amd Radeon his 7870 turbo iceq graphics card that won’t boot up with my intel dq67sw motherboard, can somebody please tell me why and/or help me to get it booting up. Thank you for your time.

Solution

So we've gone from a 550 to a 650 and now a 750 ti...

The 750 ti might actually be too new... I'm not sure. Might work, might not.
Please turn the system off, unplug it, hold the power button for 3 seconds to drain all remaining power, remove the graphics card from the motherboard.

If there are no signs of major damage to the PCIe connector on the card, simply put it back in. If your motherboard has a PCIe slot latch, make sure that closes.

EBMlk3e.jpg

Once that's done, go ahead and plug it back in and see if its behavior has changed.

warmachineandrew

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017

If the Nvidia card is working now, then the answer is that the AMD card and your motherboard simply do not get along. This happens from time to time, and it is true that older boards like yours tend to be more picky about what type of graphics card you plug in.

I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do to make them get along.

If the GT 530 works, I would imagine that the GTX 660 would work.

Also, HIS website for your card says that this card sometimes has issues with certain BIOS's on motherboards.

You can try updating your BIOS to version 6710 and that may or may not make a difference in system behavior.

Zipped download size is 9.32MB, so you will likely need at least 40MB of free hard drive space to complete the update.

Intel boards can be picky about how you update BIOS, so please read this carefully. Write it down if need be.

How to update your BIOS:

1) Download the file from the following link. You will need to hit the button at the bottom saying you agree before you can download the file. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/26853/BIOS-Update-SWQ6710H-86A-?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F26853%2Feng%2FSWQ6710H.86A.0068.BI.zip

2) Find the file you just downloaded. It should appear as a folder with a zipper over it. Right-click it and hit Extract All.

3) A new window opens.Make sure Show extracted files when complete is checked, then hit Extract.
myakiH3.png

4) Find the file named IFLASH2.exe. Double click that file.
NFg28Tj.png

5) If the file asks for admin access, say yes. Intel BIOS Flasher 2 opens. Use the on-screen navigation to update your BIOS. During this process, the computer will restart to a black screen with white text showing activity and progress. Do not interrupt this. Once it's finished, Windows will start again.

6) Once Windows starts, BIOS has finished updating. You can now shut the computer down again and try the AMD card again.

If any of this doesn't make sense to you, please ask before starting the process and getting confused.

warmachineandrew

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017