[SOLVED] Motherboard and case fans compatible

May 24, 2020
So I am very new to buiding pc's and my parts arrived! Now I saw that my case has 3 fans and each fan has two cables, I think one for rgb, one for fan.
BUT my motherboard (B450M-hdv) has 2 fan connectors.
I could use splitters but I noticed that I could "stack" all the connectors in to each other, is this gonna work?
And otherwise how can I fix it?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
You don't have RGB (which is selectable multi-color), you have LED (just 1 color) in that case.

The small fan header goes to the motherbd and the molex goes to the matching molex from the PSU (to light the LED's)

popatim

Titan
if your fans have 2 cables then one is indeed for RGB and the other is for fan control/power (depending on how many pins they have )

As for the RGB, the 'Type' used in the case has to be compatible with the type used by your motherboard otherwise you'll need an external controller if one isn't built into the case.

Which Case do you have?

May 24, 2020
if your fans have 2 cables then one is indeed for RGB and the other is for fan control/power (depending on how many pins they have )

As for the RGB, the 'Type' used in the case has to be compatible with the type used by your motherboard otherwise you'll need an external controller if one isn't built into the case.

Which Case do you have?
I have thé Sharkoon V1000 windowed case, but someone told me that these 2 connectors are just a molex connector and a 3 pin connector and I don't need to plug them both in.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
WAIT! It is not clear exactly what fans you have, or what their connectors and cables are. One very common type of fan is supplied with ONE cable from the fan, but TWO connectors on that cable. One connector is the smaller 4-hole female fan connector about 3/8" wide with two ridges running down one side; the other is a wider (about 3/4") 4-pin male Molex connector with space for 4 round pins inside a shroud, although only two of those may be there. As a variant, the Molex MAY be two-ended so that you can "stack" them and connect all the fans to a single PSU Molex output. Is that what your fans have? If so, you do NOT plug in both the fan connector (to a mobo header) and the Molex connector (to the PSU). To do so can damage your mobo! You choose to use one or the other, and there's also a third option for some situations, so we need the details.

The case website says it comes with three 120 mm LED fans. In that design, there is only ONE cable from the fan. The LED's in the fan frame are of only one colour and they are wired in parallel with the fan motor power, so there is NO separate LED lighting able. BUT you claim your fans have two cables. IF there really are two separated cables with very different connectors on each one, see if you can find a Model Number or name on the fans, and maybe we can look that up and figure out what has been supplied. The case website photos do not give adequate info.