[SOLVED] Motherboard and Cooler for Ryzen 5 3600

edzor

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Hello! I am trying to find a good motherboard and cooler for a Ryzen 5 3600, without costing too much. The biggest question I have for the cooler is do I need to get a wraith cooler, or does a cooler come with the processor?
As well, currently my build uses the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 motherboard. Is this a good motherboard or should I look at something different? If so, what are some good options?

Thanks.

Edit: I just looked at my build and realized I needed case fans. What are good options for those? The build will include a Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2060-Super. And for motherboard info I'll have 2 8gb ram sticks installed.

Solution
Alright. I found a Noctua that fits the space without having to buy something else to mount it. If I'm reading this right should I get Noctuas for my case fans? Otherwise, I was thinking of looking to get Coolermaster or Corsair for my case fans.

Well it's not a right or wrong situation. I have been using non-Noctua case fans. Though I did replace the Phantek 3 times. If you want the fans reputed to be quietest and most efficient at moving air, then get Noctua. Will you know the difference.....well probably not. You can save money by getting the brands you mentioned. There's a lot of stuff about who has the best bearings (or no bearings) that one can get into. Bottom line is fans are cheap enough that you can...

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Watch the video

If I were building today I would go 100% Noctua (Noctua is my heat sink/cpu) combination of quiet operation durability and ability to cool.

When I built my case 6 years ago I used Noctua only on the cpu and have others for both intake and exhaust. I've replaced the 8 inch intake fan 3 times (it starts to rattle) but so far my other exhaust fans, one's a corsair, one's a fantek, have held up.

Anyhow in the future I'm just going to look for whatever Noctua fits the available space.

Greg N

I am trying to find a good motherboard and cooler for a Ryzen 5 3600, without costing too much. The biggest question I have for the cooler is do I need to get a wraith cooler, or does a cooler come with the processor?
As well, currently my build uses the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 motherboard. Is this a good motherboard
The Ryzen 5 3600 comes with the AMD Wraith Stealth. It is sufficient, but you should look into a better cooler if you want your PC to be quiet.

The ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 is fine for that CPU.

edzor

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Watch the video

If I were building today I would go 100% Noctua (Noctua is my heat sink/cpu) combination of quiet operation durability and ability to cool.

When I built my case 6 years ago I used Noctua only on the cpu and have others for both intake and exhaust. I've replaced the 8 inch intake fan 3 times (it starts to rattle) but so far my other exhaust fans, one's a corsair, one's a fantek, have held up.

Anyhow in the future I'm just going to look for whatever Noctua fits the available space.

Greg N
Alright. I found a Noctua that fits the space without having to buy something else to mount it. If I'm reading this right should I get Noctuas for my case fans? Otherwise, I was thinking of looking to get Coolermaster or Corsair for my case fans.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

Well it's not a right or wrong situation. I have been using non-Noctua case fans. Though I did replace the Phantek 3 times. If you want the fans reputed to be quietest and most efficient at moving air, then get Noctua. Will you know the difference.....well probably not. You can save money by getting the brands you mentioned. There's a lot of stuff about who has the best bearings (or no bearings) that one can get into. Bottom line is fans are cheap enough that you can experiment. The Noctua line is usually pricier.

You also have to decide whether you want the glitzy lights. I tried glitzy lights on my intake fan. The lights burned out pretty quickly and the fan started to rattle. for the next one I avoided the lights.

Bottom line is I like to "set it and forget it" in terms of desktop hardware and Noctua is one element of the build that lets me do that. So when my other case fans go I'll be getting Noctua replacements (for the case fans as well as cpu). But fans are cheap enough and easy enough to replace that one can afford to go cheap, so to speak.

Solution
I think most name brand fans would be fine. I have had luck with fans from Arctic, but corsair, CoolerMaster, and Thermaltake are a few other decent ones.

I would avoid cheap Chinese fans as they may fail or be noisy while performing worse than a name brand.