Motherboard and CPU dead?

streetmike

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hello,

I am the "unoffical IT guy" at work (company is 3 people and I have built about 5 computers). So about a month ago my HP Pavilion Elite decided to have a hard time booting. I would hit the power button and go take a walk come back and nothing. Hit the power button again and then it would boot. That was happening for about a month. My boss decided to upgrade my computer to 24 gigs of ram! :D. So I figured I would install it and then try to fix the booting issue. So I install the new Kingston Hyper-X ram. Then the computer won't boot, no beeping, no post, all I hear is the CPU fan spinning full throttle. So I removed 3 of the sticks and tried again and same thing. OK. Bad Ram, or so I thought. I put the old sticks in and it will post but wont actually load windows. Hmmm. So then decided to try a single stick of the old ram in different slots. Found one slot that was not working and the beeping message confirmed that. So I tried a different stick in different slots and then for some reason it won't post at all. It turns on, but no beeping, and the fan spinning at full throttle again. No matter what I try I can't get it to post. So we buy a refurbed Asus MoBo and new PSU (HP one didn't have the 8 pin connector). Got it all hooked up and same thing, no beeping, fans going full speed no post. So I take the computer I built for my boss and try the CPU from the hp in it (yes its compatible). And the same thing, no post, fans spinning.

So do you guys think its the CPU? Could the Motherboard have went and took the CPU with it? From what I can gather the MoBo that HP puts in the computer is known for failure and heck, the this is already a replacement HP motherboard.

So if anyone has any ideas on what to try or suck it up and new MoBo and CPU time?

HP specs (I believe)
i7-920
Pegatron IPMTB-TK
(4)2 gig stick = 8gigs total
HP 430W PSU
ATI 4650 ( I am not sure, but getting upgraded to firepro v5800)

Thanks for taking the time to read the long post,
Mike

Can u reset the BIOS?
Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm
[flash=480,270]http://www.youtube.com/v/rdHH9KrceR0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage[/flash]