Motherboard and CPU incompatibilities?

alfiepike0212

Prominent
Aug 9, 2018
Hello, throughout the past few months I have been searching around for a gaming PC that I could hopefully purchase and assemble for January 2019, and I have put together a few parts that are both in my price range and also good quality. I did so on PC part picker. Despite this, whenever I put the CPU and motherboard together, it says that there are some potential incompatibilities. Could somebody help me in how I could solve these incompatibilities by suggesting a different CPU or motherboard within the price range? (Feel free to give any other suggestions for anything that could also improve my build)

PC part picker link: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Kx7Ymq

Thanks in advance!

Solution
B350 is 1st gen. Ryzen.
2400g is 2nd gen. Ryzen.
You will need to update the BIOS of the board to use the 2400g. Latest batches of boards are coming with BIOS updated. In case its not, the vendor can do it before shipping. You can confirm that before purchase.
In the unlikely scenario that the above two is not applicable, you can get a boot kit free from AMD...
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Optimized with better parts without incompatibilities...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£144.97 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£69.95 @...

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Your link says "Some AMD B350 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Raven Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."
It's just that this motherboard may not support your new processor out of the box, but your specific motherboard should support your processor out of the box (according to it's webpage).

However, it's a Micro-ATX and not the standard ATX motherboard, if you hadn't realized what that meant.

Any B450 motherboard (that supports your 2nd gen Ryzen 5 AM4 socket) should also work, in ATX form factor (probably what you want).

B350 is 1st gen. Ryzen.
2400g is 2nd gen. Ryzen.
You will need to update the BIOS of the board to use the 2400g. Latest batches of boards are coming with BIOS updated. In case its not, the vendor can do it before shipping. You can confirm that before purchase.
In the unlikely scenario that the above two is not applicable, you can get a boot kit free from AMD...
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Optimized with better parts without incompatibilities...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£144.97 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£69.95 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£97.19 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£34.74 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card (£229.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£47.99 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £722.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 00:35 BST+0100

Solution