Motherboard and CPU temp to high? Fan on alot!

Feb 22, 2018
Hi guys, I just got a new computer two days ago and I've noticed that the fan is on quite alot.. So i downloaded Speccy to check the temperatures and right now the fan is running as I'm writing this and have been almost since I started the computer 15 minutes ago, sometimes more intense and sometimes almost not at all.

While measuring these temps I have chrome open with 8 tabs, Spotify and Speccy.
my temps at the moment are these:
CPU: 61C (drops down to ~55C when fan calms down)
Motherboard: 65C (drops down to ~57C when fan calms down)
GPU: 47C (have not noticed it going up at all, havn't been gaming though)

So since I just got this computer two days ago I'm making this thread because I want your oppinions about if this is normal or if I should return the laptop?

This is my computer:
http://

CreepyNinja

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
I have to ask you a couple of questions:

1. What are the specs of your computer? (the link you gave is incomplete)

2. Are your drivers up to date? (if you dont know how to check that, download program Driver Booster from Iobit. You can easily find a free key on the net if you want to.)

3. Did you overclock your processor or was it already overclocked? (if you dont know go to the bios and select the default settings, and if it overheats on your default settings try to reduce the power of your cpu)

If 2 and 3 arent the problem you should return the pc or just add some extra fans. For 120mm i strongly recomend the Corsair Casefan ML120 Pro
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml120-pro-120mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan

or for 140mm the Corsair Casefan ML140 Pro
http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/ml140-pro-140mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan

i use them myself and are top quality for a fair price (especially when you buy the 2pack)

beinik6

Respectable
Nov 12, 2017

Im not sure if those fans will work in a laptop xD

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
motherboard temp is kind of high at 65 c but 61 c for cpu temp is nothing to worry about, if the noise is annoying you could replace the fan. i Think laptops can handle higher motherboard temps than desktop computers though so it might not be a problem.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
if its very loud or annoying i would send it back and ask for a quiet system for that price you should get a fan that dont make that much noiuse

Your laptop has a very efficient 8th gen processor (i7-8550U ) that is going to run about as cool as anything.
I might expect the cooler intakes/exhaust to be located on the bottom.
Take care that those openings are not obstructed.

If you are not gaming, you can opt to run in the integrated display adapter which will be less power hungry and run cooler.

The thermal limit for the processor is around 100c. so temperatures are not a worry.
75c. under load would be nominal.
If, however, you want a quieter laptop, you may have to give up weight and slimness to allow for better cooling.

Perhaps you might want to go the store you got it from and compare it to another similar unit.
Sometimes mass produced units do not get their coolers on really well and reseating the unit will help.

Feb 22, 2018
Thanks guys, I've spoken to HP and We've done some updating of the BIOS and some other updates, still doesn't seem to work though since it still gets hot. The motherboard is always a little hotter than the CPU and sometimes rises 10-15 C above it (Motherboard Max temp read with HWmonitor = 83 C), that can't be normal? Guess I'm going to declare DOA on this laptop and get a new one and pray for it to work properly.