Question Motherboard and Onboard Audio

MacLaddy

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Hi Folks. Have you ever woken up and realized you're 40 and have no idea about technology anymore? Yeah, that just happened to me.

Here's the problem. I built (assembled) my own computer a few years back using parts recommended to me by someone much more experienced. It has an ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard in it.
Here is where I become an old feebly person that doesn't know anything.
This motherboard says it has a Realtek ALC892 audio chipset with 7.1 Channel surround sound. It also has all the fun colorful 3.5mm plugs that indicate front, side, rear, and central ports for the speakers... Now I just so happen to have five surround sound speakers: Two for the front, two for the rear, and one for the center (a subwoofer is coming later).

Now how in the Sam-He!! do I make these two go together? My computer doesn't have a program for any of this. I think I'm supposed to have Realtek something or another, but I've got nadda. So I need to figure out where to get that. It doesn't make sense that I can plug my speakers into my computer without an Amp, but that's what it seems like. If I plug these in directly, am I going to nuke my system?

Please help this feebly old man figure out just what in the h-e-double toothpicks is going on with my audio, and how I can make it work for surround sound.

Thank you,
Mac

MacLaddy

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Hi,
Yes, you can't connect directly passive speakers to a pc. You'd need a receiver, or amp.
Only active speakers can be directly connected to pc. Ex: Logitech Z906.
Thank you. That seems like too simple of an answer for my convoluted question, but it does sum it up. This seems to have swayed from being a motherboard question, but can you recommend an amp, device, magic wand, or other implement that can act as a go-between from my existing 5 speakers and computer?

Thanks for the input,
Mac