Motherboard and RAM overcloaking?

Reksi007

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
So i am going to upgrade a PC (everything except for the GPU, PSU, disk)
CPU: i5 7600
MOBO: Asus PRIME Z270
RAM: DDR4 CRUCIAL 8GB 2666MHz

So first of if there's a better MOBO for it's price please tell me.

Secondly i'd like to ask if it'll work just fine running the XMP profile to keep the ram running at 2666MHz without any problems? Or would another motherboard be more appropriate.

Solution
Yes that's a Z board and it should run the XMP with no problem, however, sometimes in some cases there are problems after enabling the XMP.

If system enables it and works fine with no problem you can forget about it. If it's unstable (crashes and BSODs and such) you can either OC the RAM manually or change the stick and try with another brand or model.

If that's a single 8GB stick of RAM that would run in single channel mode not a problem but it's better to have dual channel on the system as it is two times the bandwidth between RAM and on controller that dwells inside the CPU.

Again, it's OK if you have single channel as the difference in performance might be something around 10 percent (between single and dual channel performance).

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes that's a Z board and it should run the XMP with no problem, however, sometimes in some cases there are problems after enabling the XMP.

If system enables it and works fine with no problem you can forget about it. If it's unstable (crashes and BSODs and such) you can either OC the RAM manually or change the stick and try with another brand or model.

If that's a single 8GB stick of RAM that would run in single channel mode not a problem but it's better to have dual channel on the system as it is two times the bandwidth between RAM and on controller that dwells inside the CPU.

Again, it's OK if you have single channel as the difference in performance might be something around 10 percent (between single and dual channel performance).

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You should be able to enable XMP profile and be all set. simple couple of clicks in the BIOS to get 2666 speed from the memory.
Keep them in dual channel mode were the motherboard manual says.
If you have blue screens then manually set the timings, speed, and voltage but up the voltage 0.02 volts to get it stable (I would think your not going to have any problem running it on XMP at 2666)
You have a non K processor so really no overclocking their.

TRENDING THREADS