[SOLVED] Motherboard and ssd questions

Desmond123

Prominent
Aug 7, 2021
Motherboard : Asus TUF B360-plus gaming
Processor: Intel core i5-8400

I have 2 m.2 nvme ssd 3.0, 1 sata ssd, and 1 sata hdd.

On the user manual it says
Both M.2_1 socket and M.2_2 socket support M key (PCIE x2 mode) and supports data transfer speed up to 16Gb/s.
"When a device in SATA mode is installed on the M.2_1 socket, SATA_2 port cannot be used."

1. If my nvme ssd support read up to 3400MB/s does it mean I wont be able to get near the 3400MB/s read?
  2. If I configure the ssd in M.2_1 socket to be pcie mode, does that means I can use SATA 2 port? (or should I leave it on auto?)
  3. Can I use 2 different brands of nvme ssd on M.2_1 and M.2_2 socket? will it cause any problems?

Solution
Assuming that I added 2 nvme ssd, which sata port should I use for the sata ssd and sata hdd?
IF you have a SATA drive in M.2_1, SATA 2 will be disabled.
Since you're apparently going to use 2x NVMe drives in the M.2 ports, you can presumably use any SATA port for the SATA SSD and HDD.
Motherboard : Asus TUF B360-plus gaming
Processor: Intel core i5-8400

I have 2 m.2 nvme ssd 3.0, 1 sata ssd, and 1 sata hdd.

On the user manual it says
Both M.2_1 socket and M.2_2 socket support M key (PCIE x2 mode) and supports data transfer speed up to 16Gb/s.
"When a device in SATA mode is installed on the M.2_1 socket, SATA_2 port cannot be used."

1. If my nvme ssd support read up to 3400MB/s does it mean I wont be able to get near the 3400MB/s read?
  2. If I configure the ssd in M.2_1 socket to be pcie mode, does that means I can use SATA 2 port? (or should I leave it on auto?)
  3. Can I use 2 different brands of nvme ssd on M.2_1 and M.2_2 socket? will it cause any problems?
  1. Yes, theoritical speed.
  2. Sata_2 will be disabled.
  3. yes multi brand ssd is not a problem. just make sure it's the correct slot or the correct ssd (sometimes the 2nd m.2 slot could only do m.2 sata ssd).