Motherboard and static problem [Long/Serious thread]

ThunderrFruit

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
So I recently ordered a motherboard, case, PSU and CPU for an upcoming build (going to order the rest of the parts pretty soon) and I started building the thing already

It's my first build ever and I had a LOT of trouble installing the motherboard in the case, in the end all was ok. But I keep thinking: "What if the board is charged of static?". I did not think about grounding myself really when building it nor do I know any other way of protecting the parts from static. I also recall touching the motherboard with a wool polo...

Is there any way to "discharge" all the static that might be in the motherboard or am I over panicking this whole thing? By the way, I never plugged the power on when building it I just plugged the cable of the PSU/fans in the motherboard when I was done.

Solution
Your system is probably just fine as long as you were working on a bench/table/counter-top of some sort. Often the static problem comes up when working on carpeting/rugs.
You can easily get rid of any static you think may be in the system (assuming you have already mounted the PSU in the case).
Make certain that the power switch on the PSU is switched OFF.
Plug the PSU power cord into a grounded wall socket (the socket accepts a 3 prong plug - two for power and one for grounding)
Any static charge in the system should simply discharge into the wall socket
Even simpler, touch the metal of the case with one hand and something sittingon the floor made of metal.

bucknutty

Distinguished
The risk of damaging a board with static is actually pretty low. I work in tech support of a building that supports 800 PCs. We never use ground straps or think twice about static. Never seen a static shock cause damage. By mounting the board into the case the board is grounded to the metal box. As we learned in 5th grade sceince electricity will travel on the out side of a conductor. The static electricty that may have been introduced is being drawn to the out side edges of the metal case.

In short your fine..

LavyDunois

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Though i also have not seen frying your mobo with static discharge, it's better safe than sorry.

Make sure you are not standing on a rug or anothing under your feet which could charge you.
Also before touching anything of the mobo or other parts just touch a metal part of your pc case (should be sufficient).
Is what i've been told.

But you should be fine now. If you didn't get zapped it's fine. :p

Your system is probably just fine as long as you were working on a bench/table/counter-top of some sort. Often the static problem comes up when working on carpeting/rugs.
You can easily get rid of any static you think may be in the system (assuming you have already mounted the PSU in the case).
Make certain that the power switch on the PSU is switched OFF.
Plug the PSU power cord into a grounded wall socket (the socket accepts a 3 prong plug - two for power and one for grounding)
Any static charge in the system should simply discharge into the wall socket
Even simpler, touch the metal of the case with one hand and something sittingon the floor made of metal.

Solution

ThunderrFruit

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

Thank you very much!