Motherboard and storage experts please help me

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
Hey I read somewhere that not all M.2 slots support NVME SSDs. I have an ASUS PRIME Z370-P, does this motherboard support this SSD, the "SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2.5" Internal SSD - 250 GB." I am going to buy one but I'm not sure whether my motherboard support nvme SSDs. Thanks.

yes! it does

Intel® Z370 Chipset :
2 x M.2 Socket 3*1, , with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready

X4 PCIE mode

it may auto handle it or you may have to set it in bios what type. SATA 3 or PCIe, my guess is it handles either type automatically

I love ASUS and GIGABYTE mobos the best, but I have also had lots of great experiences with MSI so add them too.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Thanks, I know it has M.2 slots but do they support NVME?

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Peter Martin already explained that those M.2 slots support X4 PCIE mode? So the answer is "YES, YES, YES, Those drives will work correctly"

NVME just means "SSD connected to PCIE".

Official definition : NVM Express (NVMe) is an open logical device specification for accessing non-volatile storage media attached via a PCI Express (PCIe) bus.

Jwpanz

Honorable
There are basically two types of M.2 SSD's: SATA M.2, and NVMe M.2. The M.2 slot (for your motherboard) is configured in such a way as to support both types. When you connect that 970 Evo to the M.2 slot, the BIOS will detect that it is an NVMe drive and operate it over PCIe lanes rather than the SATA interface. You can check this in the BIOS and see the connection type.

I have an Asus Z170-AR with a 960 Evo. When I installed it I basically had to do nothing to the BIOS. My motherboard automatically detected it and ran it over the PCIe lanes.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

I'm sorry lol, thanks for clearing that up.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Thanks, but geez how do yall know this complicated stuff?

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Hey one more question, can the Z370-P boot from an NVME drive? I have heard people say that there are a very limited number of motherboards that are even capable of booting from a NVME drive. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
You are sort of correct in that not all motherboards can boot from an NVMe m.2 drive. We're in a transition period, and many older(ish) boards that have an m.2 port can't boot from it, or possibly can't use it to its full speed.
Or can only do so with a shakey 3rd party BIOS update.

And not all m.2 ports can use an NVMe drive. Some are SATA only. Some are NVMe only. Some are both.

Yours, being a new motherboard, has no issue with booting from that drive, and embracing its full capabilities.