Question Motherboard ARGB Wattage Question

Jan 27, 2021
I am using the MSI B550 MAG Mortar Wifi motherboard, which lists their ARGB headers as having a max load of 3A. I am using Cooler Master Sickleflow 120 fans, which have mixed current ratings (see below):

RGB rated current = 0.09A
Fan rated current = 0.15A
Fan safety current = 0.37A

I currently have 6 fans split evenly among both headers (they daisy chain together), which leaves me some clearance no matter what, but I am looking to add on some LED strips so I need to know which currents I need to account for so I know what clearance I have left. I have read that rated current is what the fans run at, while safety current is typically only achieved when the system boots up and the fans are just starting (<-- is that correct?). However, I am not sure if I have to use the safety current value, or if I am safe to use just the rated current. I have seen mixed responses on various forums. I am also not sure if I need to account for the RGB rated current as well, or if that is typically accounted for in the rated or safety current of the fan itself.

Worst case scenario I am sitting at 0.46A per fan (RGB and Safety currents), while best case scenario I'm sitting at 0.15A per fan (just the rated current). The worst case scenario would leave me with 1.62A clearance, while the best case scenario would leave me with 2.55A clearance. Knowing which of these values I need to use (or something in between the two) will help me figure out what/how many LED strips I can utilize.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021
A follow-up question would be to ask whether I could simply daisy chain all 6 fans into the same header. Assuming I'm understanding things correctly, even with the worst case scenario of 0.46A per fan, That would leave me at 2.76A on one header that can have a max load of 3A. I have seen some people reference allowing a 10% buffer just to be safe, so I'm a little leery of trying all 6 fans on one header. The 10% buffer applied to 2.76A puts me at 3.036A. Barely over, but I don't know much about this stuff to know if that's too much.