[SOLVED] Motherboard ASUS X99-Deluxe incompatible with Xeon CPUs?

merroe

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi all,

I have a motherboard ASUS X99-Deluxe (LGA2011-v3 socket) with an Intel i7-5820K CPU.

I intended to replace the current CPU with an Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4. According to the CPU Support list on the relevant ASUS webpage, this should be possible.

However, as I proceeded with the intended replacement, I noticed that the socket on the motherboard is much larger than the contact surface of the Xeon CPU.

The socket for said Xeon should be a FCLGA2011-3. Is that different from a LGA2011-v3? Does that mean that the information on the ASUS support list is wrong?

Solution
No they should work, that -3 on the suffix of both those socket numbers indicate they are the same generation, and the v4 of the 2680 only works on the -3 socket variant. Double check the IHS of that Xeon CPU, are you sure it's the v4 version?
No they should work, that -3 on the suffix of both those socket numbers indicate they are the same generation, and the v4 of the 2680 only works on the -3 socket variant. Double check the IHS of that Xeon CPU, are you sure it's the v4 version?

Solution